What We've Overcome

"Dear Homura-chan..." Jyushimatsu paused for a moment, then continued writing. "How are you? I've had crazy things happen, you're not going to believe it! Two of my older brothers are in relationships! My brother Ichimatsu is with this pretty (not as pretty as you) girl named (Y/N), and Karamatsu is with the tiny man that has the oden stand!"

"Oi! I can still hear you, idjit!" Chibita yelled from the other room.

"I know, isn't it exciting? I had no idea nii-san liked girls AND boys! It's really sweet! And Ichimatsu is actually a lot happier when (Y/N) is here, I don't know what we'd do without her! Or what he would do! But I'm happy that he's happy! Guess what, we were practically swimming in cats the other day! Silly nii-san, it looked like a cat bomb went off! It was really fun seeing so many different cats! But I think only me and Ichimatsu nii-san were having fun, everyone else was screaming! But enough about me, what about you? Is it awesome where you live? Are your parents nice? Have you thought about me much? Do you like the scenery? I'm rambling again, silly me! Um, I just hope you're doing well, and I miss you thiiiiis much! Oh, you can't see my arms. Well, it's a lot! I can't wait for us to see each other again, I know we will! Nothing can stop me from doing that. Love, Jyushimatsu Matsuno." He looked over at you. "How was that?"

"Perfect! She'll love it!"

"Yay! I'm sorry for calling her prettier than you, I didn't want her to get sad."

"That's alright, I don't care. Hey look, it's your brother!"

"Yeah, hi." Ichimatsu had his hands behind his back. "Can you guys come to the family room with me?"

"Yeah, nii-san! I'll come! Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!" Jyushimatsu ran ahead of you, and you gave him a questioning look.

"It's time, I'm going to tell them." He reached out his hand. "Will you be there with me?"

"I told you I would at any given time." You took his hand. "I'm so proud of you."

"Well, let's get it over with." His hand shook all the way to the main room. "Hi." You sat next to him.

"What's up, brother mine?" Karamatsu crossed one leg over the other. "For what do you require our assistance?"

"Look, this is serious, okay?! So shut up and listen!"

"Alright, alright." Osomatsu leaned forward. "Fire away."

"I...I..." Ichimatsu's legs shook, and you squeezed his hand.

"It's going to be okay," you mouthed to him.

He nodded, squeezing back. "For several years now I've been a shut-in, but it got worse, and I didn't tell you that." Five questioning glances were shot towards him, and he sighed. "It's better just to show you."

"Show us?"

"Yeah." You nodded as he slowly rolled up his sleeves.

"Oh my god," Todomatsu breathed.

"How didn't-"

"Shut up, I'm not done!" he growled. "A few months ago, I had gathered the courage to end it. I knew you didn't care, it wouldn't matter if you were down to five. It would be one less brother to look after."

"But-"

"I SAID SHUT UP!" You squeezed Ichimatsu's hand harder, and he relaxed. "I went to that bridge we always went to, the one where we were just playing or talking. I went there a lot around that time, but I just sat. This time...this time would be different, I was so sure. It was a dark night, one you wouldn't be able to find me. Before I took a step, I saw something in the fog. It was a beautiful girl."

Oh, you softie, you thought, looking away.

"She was there for the same reason. She was wearing a white dress, and her (H/C) hair was pinned back so she'd look nice at her funeral. We talked about how much our lives sucked, but she had it worse. That was when you guys came, and she almost fell. You were right, I fell in love the moment I saw her."

"Ichimatsu..."

"Shh." He put a finger to your lips. "Of course we were going to take her in, she was lost. I couldn't let her out of my sight, that's why I stayed close. Though I did almost die when mom asked about grandchildren," he chuckled. "For Christmas, I have no idea how much money I blew playing pachinko. Besides, what would I buy for her? I eventually ended up at the jewelry store, god knows why. Jewelry is expensive, ¥8,000!"

"You spent that much?!" Karamatsu squeaked, nearly fainting.

"Yes I did, and I also got it engraved!"

"Engraved?" You took off the locket, examining it carefully. Gold with a little red rose on it. "Wait, it says something!" You squinted harder. "I love you," you read aloud.

"I'm surprised you didn't notice sooner," he laughed. "When I saw her with Shittymatsu, I knew I didn't have a chance. He's better-looking, actually nice, and cool."

"You think I'm cool?!" Karamatsu dropped his fourth pair of shades that month.

"Don't make me repeat myself. I mean, she was there for me when no one else was. Of course I was jealous! And then she basically friendzoned me!" Ichimatsu exclaimed.

"I'm-I'm so sorry! It hurt me to say it, too!"

"Anyways! Then my shit brother DOES confess to her! Hope you heard my heart shatter into a million pieces, Shittymatsu! Contrary to popular belief, I DO have one!" He looked like he was about to strangle someone.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't know what to do!" Karamatsu babbled. "I-I never wanted to hurt you, I swear! I know I'm a horrible person, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"SHUT UP!" Ichimatsu shook with anger. "So I did what I should've done a long time ago! Then that girl saves me! I asked her why she didn't let me die! Oh, thanks by the way," he hugged you, "I owe you one."

"You don't owe me anything!" You wrung your hands. "I was just glad that you were safe!"

"Hmm. Speaking of hearts shattering into millions of pieces, I did that to her, too. I'm a horrible person sometimes, but she still forgave me. She loves me, she actually loves me. It feels good."

"You bet I do."

"I guess that's it. Ah, I'm a lot better thanks to her, right?"

"Right, and I'm so proud. Come here, you." Ichimatsu nearly jumped into your arms, purring. "I love you so much, you have no idea."

"We're so sorry, nii-san!" Jyushimatsu was crying. "We should've been paying more attention, we didn't mean it!"

"I know you didn't, I'm sorry too. I just wasn't sure how to tell you guys. I guess...I guess I thought you'd think I'm weak." Ichimatsu looked down in embarrassment.

"You're anything but weak! You're so awesome, you made it through all that!" Choromatsu, followed by everyone else, tackled you two.

"Hey, stop! I can't breathe!"

"Thank you so much, everyone!" You hugged back, giggling. "You're the best."

"Too much happiness, help!" Ichimatsu made a choking noise. "Avenge me, (Y/N)! Avenge meeee!"