2 • More important thing

LORALY

Continuous gnawing and growling remain at the back of my mind. Like my need for a vacation, my wolf, Reina's bitterness seems to have doubled this past week. Although this seizes to surprise me, it continues to annoy me. Usually, I resort to shutting her off, pushing her into the furthest part of my mind, but today, I feel guilty and unable to do that.

Reina, my wolf, is similar to me in more ways than she would like to admit. She is quite difficult, sassy and wants nothing more than to join a pack as I do. However, unlike me, Reina is vicious and lacks self-control. It takes an awful lot to prevent her from taking full control of my body and ripping people to shreds. It takes even more to stop her from doing worse to my parents because as she puts it: "They don't show us any respect."

Honestly, she isn't wrong.

Lately, her demands have become more frequent and more unsafe which is my fault. I haven't shifted in quite some time due to my helicopter parents and overly-dramatic love life. Reina cares about neither of that and wants me to shift nonetheless, making her the reckless one of the two of us. 

Heaving a heavy exasperated sigh, I finally muster up the courage and open up the mind link we share. 'Hello, Reina.'

She doesn't reply. She stays completely silent, not even growling at me.

I can picture her laying now. She is laying on a dark floor, her dark brown coat almost making her blend in. Her ears twitch ever so softly at the sound of my voice. Her fluffy head rests on her front paws and her golden eyes remain shut.

If there is one thing that scares me more than an angry Reina, it's a quiet Reina.

My confidence falters considerably and I contemplate shutting her out again and leaving this conversation for later but I quickly decide against it.

'I know you don't want to speak to me right now and I won't force you,' I start again, this time in a quieter voice that I hope will appease her. 'I will shift soon, I promise.'

Reina replies with a scoff, her head jutting to the side, still giving me the cold shoulder.

'I'm sorry,' I finally say with a sigh. 'That might mean nothing but I just want you to know that I am sorry. I know you hate Blake and his guts but after this situation is fixed, I'll shift and you can take control.'

'It baffles me what you see in that narcissistic alpha pup,' Reina starts, unable to pass up an opportunity to insult him. 'Besides, we both know I don't have a say in this. All I can do is hope you shift soon. I have to be careful of what I say... or do or you'll use another one of Cecil's potions on me, no?

The mention of that past mistake makes me wince."

Cecil, a witch, is someone I would like to consider my second mother - my only mother right now. She is loving, kind and impulsive - like me. 

Though she wouldn't have made an appearance in my life if I didn't shift.

During my first shift, no words could describe how much pain I was in. I was cold - with barely anything to cover myself with - and alone with bones snapping and reshaping themselves inside me. I was so scared - too scared that I was going to die. 

Not knowing I was a wolf did not help. One minute I was walking in the woods to get away from my parents and the next, I was on the floor, facing the most excruciating pain I had ever felt in my life. Alone. 

Thank goodness Cecil showed up. I would be lost without her.

She comforted me. She helped me.

Needless to say, Reina and I pretty much got attached to her after that. It was like that encounter formed an unbreakable bond.