3 • Familiar heartache

LORALY

"Ma, are you listening?"

"Of course, wouldn't miss this for the world."

I sigh again and turn away from Cecil as I continue to pace. "I haven't seen him in a week, Ma. This whole thing is eating me up. He hasn't called or texted and he's ignoring all my texts. I know we're supposed to be taking a break but I'm starting to worry. I want to confront him because I know something is up, but I don't know what it is. I'm losing my mind."

Cecil sits there, calmly sipping her tea while I lament my worries to her. This past week has been difficult for me because of the Blake situation, but I didn't really want to tell her.

Now that I have, I know one thing for sure. She considers my life a telenovela.

I quit pacing and take a seat beside her. "Please say something. Tell me it's going to be okay."

She scrunches her face, placing her teacup on the saucer on the table. "Now why would I do that? So you sit still? This is the most interesting thing that has happened in a long time, sweetie. Besides, you're past the point of advice."

'Tell me about it,' Reina mumbles.

'Just because you're not blocked out doesn't mean you can taunt me. I care about him, Reina. He could be hurt.'

'Too bad.'

I heave a sigh of exasperation. "I am going to see Brandon. He should know where Blake is, then maybe I can talk to him and figure this whole thing out."

Cecil scoffs. "You think the player is going to be of much help? From what I recall, isn't he the same one who tried to get in your pants?"

"He'll be of better help than you are right now. At least he's not trying to make my life his new favourite show."

Cecil shrugs. "Touché."

I pause again and Cecil stares at me with worry. "I feel like shit, Ma. Things are not going great with Blake. I love him, but I don't know how much of this I can take. He's always been there for me and I don't want to lose him, but I'm tired of... all this. I'm scared he isn't going to want me anymore."

"Loraly," She wraps her arms around my shoulder. "You let this boy trouble you too much. He isn't worth it. This is why I gave up on romance a long time ago."

I snicker but let her continue.

"I know you... have very strong feelings for this boy, but this relationship you have seems one-sided. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I don't like you being with him. He doesn't treat you right. It might something to do with his cocky alpha genes, but he isn't good for you."

I shake my head stubbornly.  "Cecil, you're overthinking this. I'm not saying I want to end things with him. I'm just saying I hope he doesn't get sick of me. We're just going through a rough patch. Everything will be back to normal soon."

"Are you saying that to reassure me or yourself?" She asks, caressing my hair.

"I don't know," I mumble unsurely and then a thought comes to my mind. "What if I show him I'm a wolf just like him? That'll definitely-"

Cecil breaks our embrace and places her hands on both of my shoulders. "Don't you dare."

I frown, pulling away from her. "Why not? Someone is going to find out eventually so it might as well be the alpha of a pack so he can take me in."

Cecil shakes her head. "You know how sceptical about your parents. If you tell anyone, I have a feeling they will find out... if they haven't already," She whispers the last part but I hear it anyway.