57~ Short squibbles

Loraly

*

After my little talk with Cecil, she decided to make me some breakfast... or lunch or- food, Cecil decided to make me food.

Cecil also made some food for herself and we ate in comfortable silence. I couldn't stop stealing glances at her for some reason, silently hoping none of this is a dream.

I watch in confusion as Cecil's lips tilt up into a small smile. "What is he like?"

"What?" I ask with a small smile and take a sip of water.

"River," She answers and I choke on my water.

Her eyes widen and she stands up quickly and pats my back. "Are you okay?"

I just nod, not even able to talk.

"How did you find out about River?" I ask, my voice coming out as a whisper.

"I wasn't that hard for me to find out I had a son, Loraly, word gets around pretty quickly," She shrugs as she takes her seat again. "So, what's he like?"

I furrow my brows for a second. "He's mysterious, rather strange. He does things with much thought yet with very little at the same time, he is quite confusing. He has a bit of a temper that usually only shows when he's really mad or disappointed, especially in himself. He's a bit sassy and doesn't like to go shopping," I laugh and Cecil joins me. "Overall, he's a good kid."

"You really got to know him, didn't you?" Cecil asks with a glint in her eye.

"I had time, Ma," I roll my eyes.

She chuckles bitterly. "Just typical of me to leave without knowledge of my own son."

I hold her hand. "He wants to meet you."

"I want to meet him too," She sighs and pulls her hand away as she stands up. "But what if he's disappointed? I wasn't there for him, I never was. He didn't have a father either. I deserted him in his time of need."

"You didn't know."

"I shouldn't have left!" She says angrily. "That was stupid on my part and kind of selfish. He had family too, you know, but I just couldn't bare to be around here anymore, I just wanted to be on my own."

I grow silent as she talks about her mate. She seems more comfortable to be able to talk about him now. She turns away from me just after I see a tear ide down her cheek and I stand up and engulfs her in a hug. She wraps her hand around my neck and sniffles.

"I'm such a terrible mother," She whispers.

"You are more of a mother to me than my own," I whisper back. "You should've seen how jealous he was that I got to spend time with him instead of him. He wants to meet you, Cecil, that's all that matters. You might not have been with him all these years but that wasn't your fault. When you get together, you can make up for lost time."

She sighs and nods. "Thank you, Loraly."

"You're welcome, Ma," I reply as she pulls away.

She clasps her hands. "Now, one more thing before I forget. You-"

The backdoor to the kitchen swings open loudly and I flinch at the sudden noise, moving closer to Cecil. I look up at the source of the racket to see my mate. Shirtless.

His blond hair is messy, some strands stuck to his head by sweat. A deep scowl is etched on his face and anger blazes in his eyes. Bead of what I presume it's sweat slides down his chest and a towel is hungry on his shoulder. My eyes trail down from his broad to his perfect abs...