71

LORALY

"You're home early," Kaitlyn states the obvious the second I fully stepped into the house. 

I nod as the door clicks behind me with a curled fist, "Yeah, I got kicked out."

Kaitlyn warily looks at me with an amused glint in her eye. "I don't want to know."

There is a moment of silence and I cross the living room and head for the staircase. I need a bath before going to the hospital to see Vanellope and the doctor.

"Are you planning on going anywhere?" Kaitlyn's question makes me halt and swivel to face her with a raised brow. "I... I was just wondering because I wanted to go out to get some fresh air and I was wondering if we could go together," She traces a finger on her protruding belly, an action that momentarily distracts me from her words. "You don't have to! I just thought it would be nice since we never really spend time together. You know, us girls have to stick together."

I furrow my brows in suspicion and narrow my eyes at her for additional effect. "Can you drive?"

She nods vigorously. "Were you planning on going to the hospital?"

I respond with a nod of my own. "I'll meet you back here in half an hour."

"Can we do ten minutes?" She replies hastily and I cross my hands over my chest. "It's just that the boys could be back by then and I don't want to make a big fuss about this and have Alexis go with you instead."

Something about this is kind of sketchy, but I get a free ride without having to ask Tobias and his stubbornness so I reply with a soft "mhm" and continue my walk up the stairs. And I pretend not to hear Kaitlyn's excited squeal.

*

"Are you hungry?" Kaitlyn asks, taking her eye off the road to glance at me for a second. "I know you haven't had breakfast. There is a sandwich in the back if you are."

"No, thanks," I politely decline. "I'll have something later."

Stomaching food is not something I feel like doing now.

"So why were you so excited to leave the house?" I question in a monotone voice before gazing at her. "I know something is up so you might as well just tell me. I'm not just going to have Alexis and probably Tobias mad at me without knowing why."

Blood rushes to Kaitlyn's cheeks and she smiles innocently. "You noticed?" A silent nod follows from me and she heaves a heavy sigh. "It's nothing serious and no one is going to get mad at you. I -um- had complications with the pregnancy in the first few weeks and the guys have been keeping a close eye on me and barely letting me leave the house. I just want some fresh air without all of them breathing down my neck."

All former guilt she might have had is replaced with frustration. She is imprisoned in her own home. I can only wonder how difficult it must be.

Trying to lighten the dampened mood, I scoff, "I can't even imagine how being stuck with them all day feels. I have only been here a couple of weeks and I am already sick of them."

Kaitlyn chuckles and her grip on the wheel loosens. "They are pretty bad, aren't they?" She sighs again. "It gets kind of boring sometimes. I wasn't just four of us. We used to have other people living in the packhouse but they left, found their mates or something. I know we didn't get off on the right foot, but I hope we can get close." 

Although I don't reply, I give her a small smile which she reciprocates. 

Leaning back into the chair, I inhale deeply and momentarily close my eyes. A strange feeling of unease settles in my stomach as my mind wanders off to the dream last night, the one about Athena. With my eyes still clothes, I rub my temple with my index and middle finger as a headache starts to build up.