An old flame

"What makes a good love story? Why do some love stories end in tragedy?" A woman asked as she addressed the class in front of her.

"It's simple, tragedy makes for good romance." A boy raised his hand.

"Ok, can you elaborate?" She asked, smiling at the boy.

"Yeah. The most well known example of tragedy in a love story is Romeo and Juliet. Juliet seemingly dies and because of this Romeo takes his own life, unknowing that Juliet isn't dead. She wakes up and realises that Romeo is dead, then kills herself. They were star-crossed lovers, soulmates." The boy finished.

Soulmates. A word that shocked Millie. She remembered the day she met her soulmate for the first time.

As she looked, she was too wrapped up in what she was doing to notice someone. She crashed into the boy, and fell to the floor, her glasses flinging off her face.

"I'm so sorry..." She said, searching for her glasses. The boy grabbed her glasses and handed them to her.

"No problem." The boy said. As she put her glasses back on, the boy walked off, not wanting to spark a conversation.

A voice brought her back to reality as she looked at the student who began to talk.

"Ms Brown...why do we get given soulmates? Why can't we choose for ourselves?" Another student asked.

"Since that technique of love is now outdated, let's rephrase that question." Millie stopped, smiling as she wrote it on the blackboard.

"What was the point of giving people soulmates? Is it impossible for people to find love on their own?" Millie asked as she threw it out for someone to answer. 

More students answered before the class ended with the bell.

"Don't forget to finish the 2 page essay. If you need to reschedule your exam for next week please see Dean Stevens." Millie spoke up as the students left the auditorium.

Millie walked closer to the door, opening it as one of her students walked up to her, asking her a question. She happily answered, talking to the girl as she walked to her next class. As she walked, she smiled, hearing a good song playing on a nearby speaker.

"Drag my feet along the floor"

Finn walked down the pathway, forms in his arms as he smiled. He used to sing to this song when he thought about reuniting with Millie.

"Then I see you, you're walking 'cross the campus"

He looked at the familiar flower dress. It was Millie's. He saw her beautiful face as he watched her explain something to her student. Her hair slightly rustled in the wind as her dress barely moved. Her hands moved gracefully as her lips formed into a smile while the other person talked.

"Cruel professor, studying romances"

Finn watched as a man no older than Millie attempted to talk to her, but luckily the student helped her escape him.

"She's beautiful isn't she?" Finn was pulled from his staring at Millie. He looked over at the person who had spoken, a young girl, probably a college girl in her last year.

"Pardon?" He asked, wanting her to repeat her question.

"Ms Brown. I'm assuming that she's the person you were just staring at..." The girl spoke as she shifted her books.

"Oh, uh, yeah." He laughed slightly.

"She's my English professor." The girl announced, making Finn even more curious. How much of Millie's life was he unaware of?