Unexpected

It had been a week since Millie pulled Grace Vanderwaal into the pool and she was not getting away easy. Grace made it her mission to terrorise Millie whenever she had the chance.

"I'm glad that I'm going to be far away from Grace at 1:30..." Millie said as she grabbed her bag.

Millie would spend her afternoons in the library when she had the chance, and because Grace was "too cool" she would never look for Millie in the library. Millie felt safe in the library since she was friends with the 20-something year old lady that worked there most days. Today was good, since Millie was going to be away from Grace for the entire day. She's usually the only person in the library most afternoons.
------
The afternoon had finally arrived. She quickly made her way towards the library doors, fearing that Grace could be lurking around, and she would be pushed around more. She made it to the library doors with no trouble at all.

"Afternoon Millie." Ms Peterson spoke as Millie walked past her desk.

"Afternoon Ms Peterson. Is my novel here yet?" Millie asked, walking to the newly released shelf.

"You're lucky it came in an hour ago." Ms Peterson said, handing the very expensive book to Millie.

"Thank you." Millie said, before walking over to her "corner" of the library. The library was the size of 1 and 1/2 football fields put together. Ms Peterson had a special room made for Millie whenever she needed to escape Grace and her friends. Millie walked over to the locked room, opening it with the 4 digit pin only Millie and Ms Peterson knew. She sat down and got out her laptop. As she started to type her story, her phone started to buzz.

Millie: Hey Sadie. What's up?

Sadie: Where are you?

Millie: At the library...like always.

Sadie: Don't come back to the dorm until around 7 pm. Grace is looking for you...and she's not happy.

Millie: Sure thing. I'll see you around 7.

Millie hung up the phone, while continuing to type away at her computer. She was in the middle of typing up a story she had been working on for 3 weeks. She was stuck on chapter 3, half way. She was trying to remember what a certain word meant, but she couldn't. She shut her laptop after saving it before leaving the room to go and find the dictionary.

She looked up and down every shelf. She moved her glasses to better see what she was looking for. As she looked, she was too wrapped up in what she was doing to notice someone. She crashed into the boy, and fell to the floor, her glasses flinging off her face.

"I'm so sorry..." She said, searching for her glasses. The boy grabbed her glasses and handed them to her.

"No problem." The boy said. As she put her glasses back on, the boy walked off, not wanting to spark a conversation. She walked back to her room, her arm in pain after falling over.
———
As promised, Millie walked back to her dorm around 7 and got back by 5 past. Sadie was on the phone with Caleb and Noah was watching Netflix. Millie placed her bag on the floor near her bed before she plugged in her laptop and phone. She opened her laptop back up and began typing again.

She couldn't be more proud of him. He had finally learned how to be nice to someone. The girl felt a special connection to the boy, even though she had only known him for less than a week.

Millie's inspiration kept flowing and her fingers kept typing.

Maybe there was more to the boy than his 'bad boy' persona. Maybe he had the potential to become a nice person...instead of a monster.

Millie stopped typing. She proof-read her chapter before she saved it and closed her laptop.

"How's your book going Mills?" Noah asked, seeing that Millie had stopped typing.

"I just finished the 3rd chapter. I feel like I'm getting closer to the happy ending I want myself..." Millie said, smiling as she sat on her bed, feeling relaxed.

"Well...at least you're relaxed and happy." Sadie said, chiming in on the conversation.

For the next 2 hours, Sadie, Noah and Millie talked about the book that Millie was writing. She told them about the characters, the chapters and the plot of the story.

Noah felt his phone buzz, then Sadie felt hers, then Millie saw hers light up.

"Did you guys-" Noah asked.

"Yeah." Sadie said.

One after the other, Millie, Sadie and Noah opened their message.

Dear recipient,

You are invited to the mid year ball. This years theme: Masquerade.

Come in your fanciest Masquerade Ball attire and mask. The ball will be held on the last day of semester 1. Can't wait to see you there!

"At least it's a good theme..." Noah said, half smiling.

Millie slammed the back of her head into the pillow, not interested in the ball.

"We still have 5 weeks to find outfits and masks. Besides...we also have to find a partner..." Sadie said.

Sadie's comment caused Millie to roll her eyes.