Chapter 2

"And they lived happily ever after." Lucy finished. Del loved listening to the tale of Cinderella. It was his favourite fairy-tale. He chirped happily. "But Rover, don't you think Cinderella is a bit too old fashioned now? I mean, Snow White and the Seven dwarves is so amazing!" Del chirped thrice. It meant a maybe. "By the way," Lucy started, "Rover, you know, father said you're gonna have a partner soon! I hope your chicks will be as sweet as you!"

A partner? No way!! He didn't want to be like those lovebirds! He wanted his small house all to himself! And chicks? He didn't want to babysit and miss out Lucy's love! That would be so unfair! Del chirped again, twice. That would mean a straight no.

"Oh Rover, but you can't do anything about it. She's already on her way here now."

"Won't you wish me happiness, Rover? I'd be so happy if I could see some adorable chicks..."

Aww, how can I deny her like that, Lucy's smiling face is a bliss itself. Fine, just for this once. Del let her know that. Instantly, her expression changed to all-delighted. Phew, I was so scared she might cry.

Time passed quickly and it was evening. Lucy had fallen asleep and leaned against the cage stand. To Del's surprise, the doorbell rang. It never rung at this time. Mr. Kenz was always back after 9 p.m. Never before. But it was Mr. Kenz after all. He came in with a super small cage in his hand. In it was another sparrow, a female one. Poor her, Del thought, she doesn't deserve to be in such a small space. It looks so tight. I guess I can let her be in my shelter. She'll need some space after all. Mr. Kenz came up to his cage and opened the door. Then he lifted her cage and opened its door as well. She hopped in immediately and Mr. Kenz closed the doors.

"Hey, whats your name?" Del asked, as he inched nearer. She quickly flew away to the farthest point and replied, scared, "Don't..! P-please don't h-hurt me, I promise I wont disturb y-you at all! I-I promise...'

Why is she afraid? Do I look that scary? But she looks...oh my...her wings are in such a bad condition...I hope shell be okay... Del thought. He spoke again, this time in a much softer and soothing voice, "Hey, dont be afraid, I don't know why you're so scared, but believe me, I wish you no harm. I'd like to be your friend. My names Del. What's yours?"

She hesitated, but finally replied. "M-My names Sora. Thanks for b-being so nice to me...I didn't imagine someone c-could be so nice to a bird like m-me."

"Why? I don't see why nobody wouldn't be nice to you."

"I-I'm not the best bird you'll find in town...I used to b-betray others and s-steal from them for my boss. I was good at it. But one day, my boss was disappointed in me and he..he revealed everything. The birds were f-furious. They scratched me, p-pecked me. And then when the bird keeper found out I was in such an awful state, he had almost t-thrown me. This man bought me. All because I was for free now. B-but please don't think I'll betray you. I don't work for him anymore.."

So that's why she's so afraid, Del thought. I guess I would be too, if other birds did that to me...I guess I can trust her. There's no one to give her orders here without me knowing so..

"B-by the way," Sora asked, "Perhaps you have some food to share? I haven't ate in days... It's okay if you don't give me, I'll understand." She quickly added.

"Sure, here have this."

Sora gobbled up the grains. Del let her sleep in his comfy pot-shaped home, while he just slept on top of it. Sora slept peacefully.

----×----

A/N: Hiya! Thank you for reading, hope you're liking it!! Any feedback, positive or negative, is welcome!

Sorry for not updating on Sunday, life happened TT. But hey, here's the female lead!

Chapters out on Sundays and Wednesdays.

----×----