Epilogue

It was one of the loveliest afternoons Del had witnessed. His and Sora's chicks could now fly! Fly as far as the wind took them, and as far as their ever-lasting stamina allowed! There were two chicks, and both were dazzling.

"Oh how I love them" he said, shifting near to Sora.

"How cliché, but, well, yeah, that we do." She replied, with a smile that vaporised Del's melting heart.

It had been a week and a half since the chicks hatched, and almost a month since they started living together in the small forest region around Sparrow Den.

It was so that the birdkeeper had set most of the common birds free, and sold the remaining. It was also true that it was the birdkeeper who had poisoned Falkner, on account of his degrading financial status. Apparently, the birdkeeper recognised Sora and he thought it best to return her back to the Smiths.

"Lucy is the best human." Sora said, and Del nodded in agreement.

Lucy felt the same thing towards Sora as she did to Del, and she had opened the cage while her parents, or her brother Max, were out. On another small note, she just decided to draw a picture of Sora and Del together as a memento for later years, and Sora agreed to being her reference material. When Del arrived, she was almost done with her picture. With a small lively snack and a session of adoring each other, the birds and Lucy parted ways. If only everyone was like Lucy.

"For all that matters, in all honesty, we're free and together. It doesn't matter you know, if there is some mass disaster in the future, or if we don't love each other as we do now till the very end, what matters is that we can live the moment." Del said, as he chirped for their chicks to return.

×

"JIM WAKE UP!" Ann screamed.

"Oh please. You know it's a Thursday, and we rest on this glorious day."

"Do we? I don't remember a Thursday to be glorious. Mind enlightening me?"

"Nope, just know that your very hardworking brother wishes to sleep more."

"Mr. Jim, you have been waking up late for 4 days now. Get up right now."

Ann pushed Jim, and the poor bird had to flap his wings even before he could open his eyes to prevent his doom.

"Sometimes," he said, making a so-so-done face, "I really, really feel like feeding you to Falkner."

Oh. That disaster. Well he was gone. Jim and Sora were back on friendly terms after she and Del came back to Sparrow Den.

Maybe he couldn't end up with Sora, maybe his lifelong destiny was being single. It was alright, he wasn't going to die of grief or something. If he was to be solo, then he had his own dreams to fulfill.

"Oh well. Let's get started."

×

"I don't understand her. She begged for more sparrows and now? She keeps freeing them. Is she going crazy or will she finally-"

"Oh no no, don't think of those cursed thoughts!" Mrs. Smith exclaimed, as she mournfully glanced at Lucy staring at the drawing of two sparrows she had made a few days back.

Lucy sighed. She could hear too, all those concerning talks about her. What would she say though? That she felt the birds deserve their own freedom, that they had no right to restrict the birds in cages as if they were but slaves and prisoners only for the purpose of entertainment? It was the truth, but this answer could never be satisfactory to her parents, or her brother.

Max didn't comment after she explained her situation, but he didn't play the snitch's role either. He just let her be and went away.

As long as he remains shut I guess, thought Lucy.

Her friends had stopped visiting her, and she had done the same. She was just gloomy after all. What's the use of paying visits if all she does is stare at the endless sky?

There's nothing wrong with me. I just wish I could feel what Rover felt when he had his first flight, or his first taste of freedom. I'm not allowed to go to school. I'm not given much care. All I can do is read stupid stories of princes saving princesses, or secretly borrow Max's books. I have a disease which would kill me sooner or later anyway, why spend so much on me? Makes sense, it all does.

Lucy brought back a picture frame. Then, she stared at the window. It was a four-storied building. Quite a large gap between their room and the ground.

She took the picture, and on the back, wrote.

To Rover and his soulmate, enjoy:). To myself, the artist, hope you find a better life next time. I don't have anything to leave behind, the times I spent with the two of you were the best.

Lucy hung the painting on the wall. She went up and sat on the windowsill.

With a soft smile, and a tear rolling down her rosy cheek, she let go.

-

Yoo! It's over! Del and Sora got their nice lil ending:)

But honestly though, don't kill me for what I did with Lucy, not everyone gets a good ending all the time.

About Lucy's disease, what she had is a mystery. In that era no one could have figured it out, but this being the 21st century and this being on Wattpad, there's an insane amount of possibilities:). But she had some idea, and knowing, that her life wouldn't have much colour either way, Lucy committed suicide. This is not meant as influence to anyone, so no taking notes okay?

Jim, let's wish him a happy solo life, or maybe he would find a partner? Who knows?

So, Imma go write a new one, so that you don't kill me or something, byee!:)

.°•.•°.
°•.•°