Chapter 7

It was spring. The time when the prettiest of flowers blossomed and revealed their faces, and when little birds laid their eggs. Del and Sora had been looking up to this time since the last 3 months. The results will have to be fruitful, they both agreed on it. Even Lucy did agree. Now they just had to wait till Sora was totally ready to have them. She ate more than usual now.

"Sora, how much would you rate your excitement out of 10?" Del asked, his eyes shining with enthusiasm.

"ONLY 10? DEL ARE YOU SERIOUS? I'D RATE IT ABOVE THE MAXIMUM LIMIT POSSIBLE IN THIS LIFE! OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT IF I MUST."

"I get it, I get it hehe." Del chuckled.

They went on with their talk, not noticing the crow which had crawled near the cage. It let out a loud caw and grabbed the cage with his claws, which also opened the loose cage-door.

"You're mine!" cawed the crow, trying to reach the two sparrows trapped inside.

Del and Sora squeaked as loud as they could, but no one came. They were by themselves. As both fought to keep away from the vicious crow, Sora's defence gave way. The crow grabbed her and flung her out of the cage. She screamed as loud as she could as the claws pierced into her talons. Del stared in horror trying not to imagine her death. But she didn't die. She bit the crows talon as hard as she could, and he let her go with a pained shriek. With no other option, Sora flapped open her wings, and lifted herself into the open sky, not daring to look back as she screamed, "DEL I'LL BE BACK! I PROMISE!"

And that's what he last heard of her.

×

Del was still shook up from the day's events. He was remorseful, frightened to death, craving for his soul mate, and what not. He knew Sora would be back eventually, if not he would escape and look for her to the ends of earth. Even if it means I'll have to disappoint Lucy. I hope she's the one who returns, but when? Del shifted uncomfortably. The memory of that malicious crow gripping her, her screams, that made him desperate to know if she survived. When she was gone, before that crow could chase her or try again on him, Mrs. Smith had come with a broomstick to shoo it away. At least he was alive and uninjured. But he couldn't help worrying about Sora.

The Smiths weren't even remotely concerned for her." Oh, so that other one just...vanished? Well I guess I'll just buy another one." Said Mr. Kenz, brushing off the topic from his mind.

Max was like, "I knew it would happen one day, Lucy, I'd told you to convince father to move the cage. Well now don't start crying, we'll soon have a new one."

A new one? Are you even conscious of what you're saying, Max? I know you don't believe in love that much, just like I used to be once, but you'd be like this? And what are we? Dispensable objects? This is a bit too much. You SO crossed the line.

On the other hand, Lucy was totally teary-eyed when she came to know of Sora's escape. Her eyes were totally bloodshot from crying, just a bit less than Del's.

Mrs. Smith, was not even the slightest bit of interested in Sora. She had only come to shoo away the crow because, who would want one inside their house?

The Unaffected, in other words. Del thought.

He quietly ate his grains that night and went to sleep without a chirp.

×

Del woke up early. It was only because yesterdays scenes flashed in his mind along with a part where Sora died. I'm sure she is alive. Del thought, trying to believe it.

From the window, he could see birds laying eggs, the males out and about in search of food, the females sitting on their eggs. He wished he could do that too. But that was so impossible at that moment.

×

Mr. Kenz kept his word. He was back home early once again, with another sparrow in the tiny cage of his.

Wait a second... Del observed the bird. It wasn't a female. Mr. Kenz brought a mate or a friend or...a foe? Does he even know that?

Everyone was excited to see this new sparrow. But it was ultimately Max who pointed out the fact that it was a male.

"Father, I think you got fooled by that bird-keeper."

"Ugh. That scammer!! There's no way he would change it. Well, just keep it I guess." Mr. Kenz said.

When Mr. Kenz opened the gate to let that sparrow in, he didn't immediately hop inside like Sora. He snarled at Del, "Don't try any pesky moves." When he did enter, he tried to escape. But it failed.

"Why are you already trying to escape?" Del asked, not at all being able to read this new bird. After a little pause, he resumed, "Okay never mind what I said, but what's your name?"

He snapped at Del, "And why do you expect me to tell you everything about me, huh? So that you can report everything to your boss?" Saying so he went into his home and took the available spot.

Of all things Del had expected from him, rudeness was NOT one. AND he won't tell stuff about himself as well. EVEN if they both remained secrets to each other!

----×----

Yoo sup. Yes I brought about chaos.

Yes I half planned on killing Sora.

But she's alive, and you have a new character!

Woot Woot!

Stay tuned for next episode!

----×----