9

We arrive at the house. It's two stories with sky-blue paint on the outside, white trim, circular windows at the attic side, a door with a brass knocker, and two bay windows. I stare at it, feeling a lot of memories from the two-story house I lived at with Dad. I shouldn't be calling him that anymore. I should be calling him by his first name, but I feel like if I call him that, he'll come out of nowhere and hurt me again. So I'm going to continue to call him Dad just to be on the safe side.

"Do you like it?" she asks. "I mean, I know it's kind of small, but I think you're going to like living here."

I nod. "I love it. Thank you for bringing me here."

"It's no problem." She sighs. "I see the look on your face. You're uncomfortable, like you don't want to be here. I can tell just by looking at you. What's on your mind?"

I really don't want to tell her because I think she's going to judge me for my answer. I know she's a good-natured person and wouldn't dare judge anybody for their answers. She's the kind of person to sit back and listen to the person talking. She's the kind of person who cares about their answers, to comfort them if something's wrong. Maybe she could help me; she could be my personal therapist since I'm too scared to go through a real one. I know she's suffered through depression like I've had and still have. She could talk to me and help me. I take a deep breath before speaking.

"It's just that I lived in a two-story house before I went to the adoption center. I'm worried that somehow he's going to find me, show up, and hurt me again. I want to be safe." I'm beginning to cry softly while speaking. "I don't want to deal with any of this anymore. I'm scared."

I feel her arms wrap around me in a gentle hug. "Baby, you don't need to be scared while I'm with you. As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you."

"Don't wanna lie here, but you can learn to," I joke, which makes her chuckle.

"Okay, I have to admit that's a good one. Now come on inside."

I grab my backpack and follow her into my new home.