16

BEFORE-STORY WARNING: This chapter is scary, so if you don't like that stuff, SKIP IT. I'll save you from the nightmares. Move onto the next chapter when it's published. If you feel like you're brave or WANT the nightmares, read on. I'm not responsible if you try this game or the outcome of it.

Billie laughs at the look on my face.

"Brooke, it's Saturday! School starts Monday! Wow, you're so gullible!"

Okay, that statement hurt. Like, really badly. But I'm not going to show it because I don't want to ruin our relationship.

"Oh," I say with a total under-enthusiastic laugh, which makes her give a look of concern. "Yeah. Haha."

"Brooke, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I reply. "I'm going to go back to sleep. I'm exhausted."

She hesitates but lets out a sigh. "Okay, I guess. Well, sleep good, and I'll see you soon, I guess." She begins to walk out the door.

"Wait!" I say. She turns around, looking kind of . . . sad. Why? "I love you, Mom."

She smiles, but it's not a happy smile. "Love you, too, Brooke." She turns off the lights and closes the door. I adjust my head on my pillow and try to go back to sleep. But five minutes later, I find that I can't, so I'm going to play a game. A scary one.

I grab a match and step into the closet, closing the door behind me. I take a few deep breaths while being in the dark. I wait for about two minutes, preparing myself for what's to come. 

I hold the match in front of me and say in a clear voice, "Show me the light or leave me in the darkness."

I wait in silence. Nothing happens. I only hear the sound of Billie moving around downstairs.

And then I hear it.

A whispering.

Not loud, but very faint, almost in a different language.

I quickly light the match, terrified of what happens if I don't light it fast enough. I slowly open my closet door and step out. I close my eyes and shut the door. My heart is pounding. I feel tears rolling down my cheeks. This was a bad idea. A really bad idea. What have I done?

I turn on the light and open the closet door. Indeed, nothing's there. But it will be when the light's out. I close the door and keep the light on. I decide to write a note for Billie so she'll know.

So I accidentally summoned a demon in the closet. Keep the light on at all times. Thank you.

Maybe I should tell Billie what I've done. But I don't want to anger her. So I close my eyes and try to go back to sleep.

Five minutes later . . .

Creeeeeaaaaaakkk.

I gasp and sit up, seeing the closet door beginning to creak open. The lightbulb flickers and then goes out in a series of sparks. I whimper and cover my face with the pillow.

"It's just a game. It's just a game, Brooke."

Is it really? Have I really summoned a demon? I need to check. I can't handle this.

I nervously look at the closet to see a pair of glowing red eyes piercing through the darkness. 

No. It actually happened. It's real. It's real!

I scream like I'm being murdered and throw open my door, running down the stairs so fast that I trip on the third step and fall the rest of the way down. Billie's on the couch, watching TV. She looks at me with a startled look when she sees me.

"Brooke? Is everything okay?" she asks, quickly standing up and hurrying over towards me. I have bruises on both my knees (for you . . . CRINGEEEEE) and a scrape on my leg. I wrap my arms around her and begin sobbing heavily.

"Brooke, what happened?"

"W-W-We n-need to m-m-move!" I wail.

"Why? What happened?"

I take a deep breath, calming down briefly so I can speak normally, and say everything in one rush. "So I played a game since I couldn't go to sleep and accidentally summoned a demon in my closet and so now it's watching me with its eyes and almost pulled me into the underworld."

She stares at me with wide eyes. "You mean you played 'The Closet Game?' Broooooke!" She lets out a loud groan. "Come on, you know better!"

"I'm sorry, Mom! Will it go away?"

She sighs and shakes her head. "No. Not unless I get someone specialized in this sort of stuff. I'll let you sleep in my room tonight. But listen to me: don't play that game again. Do you understand?"

I nod rapidly. "Yes, I understand. I promise I won't play it again."

"Okay. Just breathe and forget about the demon. Let's watch a movie together to take our minds off of it. Okay?"

I nod. "Okay. I'm sorry again." I hesitate. "Are you mad at me?"

"No, I'm not mad at you. I'm disappointed in you, but I'm not mad at you. I still love you. I'll let you pick the movie."

As we sit on the couch watching the first Harry Potter film, my mind continues to wander over to the demon. Even though it's in my closet, is Billie in any danger?