{chapter 18}

Katara and Aang walked into school hand in hand. All of the students gasped and stopped what they were doing as they turned to the new couple. "Are they together?" "She's probably just temporary." "I'm not gonna lie they are kinda cute." The whole school was whispering about the new couple. A teacher walked up toK Katara and Aang. "Katara can I speak with you?" Katara nodded. Aang was going to follow but was stopped by the teacher. "My apologies Avatar Aang but I'm afraid you cannot accompany Katara during this meeting." Katara's heart dropped now realizing what this was about. She looked at Aang with a worried expression. "Whatever your talking about can't be that serious I'm coming." Aang said trying to grab Katara's hand but the teacher lightly pushed him away. "It will only take 20 minutes then you can have her back." The teacher then yanked Katara down the hall.

Katara was pushed a little aggressively into a small room, it had small couch and two seats sitting across from her. Katara looked to see two people in front of her. A woman with grey short hair and a tiny scar across her eye. And a younger man who looked a lot like Zuko. "He's pretty cute- wait no he's probably like 21 and I have a boyfriend forget it Katara! Can't believe I even thought that!" Katara thought to herself. She looked at the woman who was gesturing her to sit on the couch. Katara awkwardly sat down. "Hello Katara I am Officer Lin and this is my partner Iroh." Katara nodded.

"We were assigned to Meng's case. And as you might already know one of Meng's last words according to her parents, were 'Kat.' So me and Iroh have been going down the list of all the girls and boys in the school who's names start with C and K or sound similar to 'Kat.'" Katara just sat silently making sure to pay attention to every word Lin said to her. "I can't screw this up. This is it. If I look too nervous I'm suspicious, if I look to relaxed it looks like I'm forcing it. I just have to remain neutral." Katara reminded herself.

Lin leaned forward in attempt to intimidate her. "And it just so happens you literally have 'Kat' in your name." Katara furrowed her eye brows and leaned towards Lin to show her attempt in intimating her wasn't doing shit. "Are you accusing me of something?" Katara asked in a low voice. "Depends did you do something?" They both stared intensely at each other until Iroh cleared his throat.

"Alright ladies let's do this the right way instead of death glaring each other." Iroh joked. He reached under his seat and pulled out a black bag. He pulled out a brown folder, he shuffled through the papers until he found the one he was looking for. "Aha!" Iroh pulled out the paper and reached in his bag again and pulled out a black pen.

"Alright," iroh clicked his pen ready to write. "Where were you the night of Mengs death?" Iroh asked. "I was at my friend Tophs house." Katara responded. "Mhm and was anyone else there besides you and Toph?" Iroh asked. "Yeah it was me, Azula, Mai, Suki, and Tylee, We were all at Tophs house." Katara said confidently. Iroh wrote down a few things before looking back up at Katara. "Now did you, Azula, Mai, Suki, and Tylee all go to Toph's house together or you met up there?" "I drove myself. We all met up there." Iroh started writing again. Lin sat up quickly making Katara flinch. "Did anyone in your house know you were staying over Tophs house?" Lin asked. "No one but me and the girls. I snuck out and so did they." Katara responded getting her breathing back under control. "And I didn't stay over. We all left Toph's house around 6am." Lin leaned over and whispered something into Irho's ear making him nod in agreement. "Okay that's all for now Katara but expect to see us again. Just so you know we aren't accusing you of being the reason for Meng's death it's just that your name is so close to Kat we have to keep you around for a while." Iroh explain with a friendly smile. "I understand." Katara said while standing up and walking out the door.

"I think it was her Iroh." Lin said packing her things. "Why? Just because her name is really similar to Kat doesn't mean she killed Meng. You can't just accuse her for her name. It's not right, at least have more proof." Iroh said. Lin nodded and they both continued packing their things.