Chapter Fifteen

"No." Asriel stated firmly without looking up at Selena. He had the annoying habit of not giving her or anyone else his full attention. The only one who was ever able to grab all of his attention was Asaiah– and that was probably because he had to keep an eye on him.

It had been a week since Selena started working with Asriel but all he ever let her do was sort out files and recite to him his schedule. Such was an obstacle in her investigation. Maybe if she had more access to his life then she would perhaps gather a little more information about him and his connection with the case.

"Sir," Selena said as she sat down in front of him on the guest chair. He still had his eyes on the laptop and it was starting to annoy her more than it usually did.

"With all due respect, I am tired of you only giving me these tiny tasks that you probably used to do yourself before you got yourself a new assistant. Do you perhaps think that I am incapable of working for you?" Selena asked. Not that she hated working for him, she just knew that seeing any more paperwork to scan or sort of photocopy would drive her insane in that office. There wasn't any leads for her in there.

"If I did think that then I would not have hired you in the first place." Asriel said.

Selena was flattered but tried not to show it. She was too busy on another mission. "Then let me come with you to a meeting or some other one of those outings you go to every day."

"No." He stated with finality. She groaned and put her head on her laps.

"Miss March, please go back to your desk. I believe it is safe to assume that you have nothing more to add?" He said as he stood up. Selena watched begrudgingly as he walked to the printer where a batch of print outs just came out.

He grabbed them and started flipping through them. Satisfied with them, he walked back to his desk where Selena was still stubbornly seated and glaring at him. He chose to ignore her and continue with his work.

To Selena's satisfaction, her glare was starting to have an effect on Asriel. He was clearly starting to get bothered and irritated by it just like she knew it would. She had used the method on Andrew and Darral and sometimes Owen – they all ended up giving in to her.

She hid her smile when Asriel sighed frustratedly and put down the papers in his hand. His attention was solely on her.

"Selena," Asriel said with a barely controlled voice. It was not the reaction Selena was expecting.  "Do you know how much you are irritating me?"

She shook her head innocently. He grinned devilishly, a look that made him look even more attractive but scary at the same time. He leaned back against his chair, regarding her and unknowingly sending delicious chills down her spine.

"Well," Asriel started slowly, "since you claim to be unaware I am going to let you off the hook for now. Get. Back. To. Your. Desk, woman."

The last six words were said with enough conviction that it was like hypnosis. She definitely had to obey. Again, not the reaction that she was expecting. Well, no matter what his reaction was, she was still determined to get her job done.

She sat at her desk and leaned her head on her palm. Okay, so she obeyed Asriel's commanding voice but then what? It's not like he actually gave her what to do anyway. She wanted to just ask for a task but Asriel desk was too far from her mini office for her to just shout. Well, she could shout loudly but it would probably be inappropriate to do so. She stood up again with the aim of going back to Asriel.

"Stop right there," he called from his desk. He had to shout just for her to hear him. She stopped walking and watched him pick up a receiver from a telephone on his desk. A moment later, she heard a ringing sound behind her. She turned around and looked at the idle receiver connected to the side of her table.