12 - Victory: Part One

Nearly a dozen meetings passed quickly, and Dumbledore's Army had progressed significantly. While Umbridge gained more authority, these students grew more prepared as they learned to defend themselves within the walls of Hogwarts.

With the frequent time spent together, Ellie grew closer to Ron and Harry, though the scarred boy still had some hesitation. Harry was much more content with Ellie, and he didn't seem to mind if the Hufflepuff tagged along during breaks between classes.

"Stunning is one of the most useful spells in your arsenal. It's sort of a wizard's bread and butter, really," Harry lectured as he turned to a smaller boy. "So come on then, Nigel. Give it your best shot."

Harry stood at the end of the room, several yards in between him and his dueling partner. The others were lined up on either side to watch the events play out, eager to see Nigel's attempt.

"Stupefy!"

Instead of stunning his opponent, Nigel's spell blasted both himself and Harry backwards. The onlookers witnessed in shock, their eyes darting between the two as they pondered over which to help first.

"Good. Not bad at all, Nigel. Well done," Harry stammered as he rose to his feet quickly, with Nigel staring at his wand with wide eyes.

Harry spent a few more rounds with the younger students, dismissing the older ones to duel amongst themselves. Ellie eagerly approached her girlfriend, but Luna's patient gaze in her direction cut her short. Though the Hufflepuff didn't mind being paired with Luna all the time, Ellie would have preferred dueling with her girlfriend instead. Hermione and Ellie locked eyes for a moment, both shaking their heads apologetically as Ron and Luna stood beside them expectantly. Nonetheless, the lovers smiled at each other, eventually turning away to direct their attention to their dueling partners.

Luna and Ellie sparred at each other, the Hufflepuff defending the Ravenclaw's stunning attempts with ease.

"Ellie, you don't have to go easy on me," Luna spoke as she cast another failed spell.

"I'm not," Ellie protested as she merely defended all oncoming blows, not even attempting to make any advancements.

"Yes you are," Luna observed. "But it's okay. I don't mind if you're not up to it."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I know you don't want to duel me. But you're too polite to leave me alone," Luna shrugged casually as she lowered her wand to divert her attention to Ron and Hermione. "You'd rather go up against Hermione instead. Let's watch them go at it."

"You're one of kind, Luna. Really, you amaze me," Ellie uttered as she followed the blonde-haired girl to stand among the other students that had gathered to watch the Gryffindors.

Everyone had lined up as they did when they watched Harry and Nigel, but this time, Ron and Hermione stood at either end. Ellie waved at her girlfriend, giving an encouraging grin as Fred and George approached her left side.

"Don't worry. I'll go easy on you," Ron called out with an overly confident smirk.

"Thanks, Ronald," Hermione replied sarcastically, keeping to herself as she waited for the boy to ready himself.

"Come, on Ron," a few boys whooped, the redhead seeming to be pleased with the encouraging remarks.

"One Sickle," Fred bet his brother.

"You're on," George accepted, their volume only within earshot of Ellie..

At once, the two duelers raised their wands, staring each other down with challenging expressions. Before Ron could even utter a word, Hermione flicked her wand and spoke first, the spark of the Stunning Spell blasting the redhead backwards, his yelp growing quieter before he hit the ground.