23 - The Trainee

"You take the powder and you throw it down at your feet, saying very clearly where you want to go." Ellie's mother instructed her daughter.

The flames in their fireplace suddenly burned green, making it harmless to those using the Floo Network. With only a smidge of anxiety, Ellie stepped into the fire and grabbed a fistful of Floo powder from her mother.

"Be safe, honey. It's a dangerous world out there, even in the safe hands of the Weasley's," Ellie's mother announced with both worry and tender love. "You can stay there if they offer. Just owl to me, please."

Ellie gave a smile as she held the powder in one hand, feeling the fine grain against her palm. She gripped her broom in her other hand, preparing herself for her journey.

"The Burrow!" Ellie yelled, throwing the powder into the ground. A cloud of green smoke appeared surrounded her, provoking a tingly feeling that coursed through her limbs. Within a mere second, she was transported to the Weasley residence. 

Ellie stumbled out of their fireplace, coughing from the dust that slipped through her nose. After a few seconds of recovery, she looked up to see the Golden Trio staring at her, all with wide grins of amusement.

"Not so bad for your first time," Harry started with a friendly smile.

"He would know what a bad first time with the Floo looks like, don't you, Harry?" Ron snickered as he elbowed his friend.

Ellie raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Oh, really? I'd love to know the story."

"He ended up in Knockturn Alley," Hermione explained. "Not exactly a place you'd want to find yourself in."

Ellie turned to see her girlfriend, her beam growing wide at hearing her voice. Hermione's eyes twinkled with delight as she immediately gave her lover a hug before breaking away to dust off some of the powder from her clothes.

Harry's eyes met Ellie's for confirmation, his Firebolt in his hand. "You ready?"

Ellie inhaled deeply, touching the ring around her finger. "Hopefully," she exhaled.

The four of them made their way out of the house and onto the open land. Ron and Hermione stayed at the edge of the imaginary boundaries, letting Harry lead Ellie further out.

"Now, the concept is simple," Harry started. "There are seven players on each team, one of which you are the Seeker. Now, your goal is to catch-"

"The Snitch," Ellie finished, "I know how to play, Harry."

"I caught on quickly too," Harry smirked competitively as he turned back toward the house, waving his arm in large motions. "Well then, let's see you play. Fred! George! Come out here!"

The twins made their way out to the field, dressed in sportswear. George held a large box and his broom while Fred carried his own broom and two bats.

"I'm sure you know how this works, then. Fred and George will try to hit you with a Bludger," Harry explained. "In the meantime, you will be racing against me to try and catch the Snitch."

"Woah, woah, woah," Ellie protested, throwing her hands up in the air. "I said I knew how to play, I just never have. You're the best Seeker there is! It's not fair!"

"You'll be fine," Harry dismissed with a wave of his hand. "Open them up, George."

George opened the large box, now rattling with excitement. The latches soon unleashed a black, iron ball and a much smaller, golden sphere. The golden ball flew into the air, moving quickly on its own. Meanwhile, Fred took hold the Bludger, swinging his bat around effortlessly.