26 - Secret Weapon

Ellie watched as the Golden Trio became a distant blur, their figures eventually disappearing behind an adjacent hallway. The Hufflepuff paced a few strides, her mind distraught with her competing decisions. Following them would result in a displeased Hermione, yet not following them would risk Harry not having enough protection. Ellie knew she couldn't do much without the information the close-knit trio shared amongst themselves, but she did well in defending against the Dark Arts. Perhaps it was a show of her Hufflepuff character, but defending her friend against the wrongdoings of the headmistress was something she felt the need to do.

After a pounding sprint after the trio, Ellie eventually reached them, barely squeezing her foot into the door's closing gap of Umbridge's office. The loud stomp of Ellie's foot made the group turn around in a startled jump. Their faces immediately relaxed upon seeing who it was, but their attention was still on Harry's instruction.

"I know you're in a hurry, but I can help," Ellie announced fiercely. "I can keep watch for you—whatever it is you all are doing."

"You can't, Ellie," Hermione urged.

Ellie disregarded her girlfriend's orders to address Harry directly. "It's only right I help you, Harry. After everything you've done for me."

Hermione let out a sigh, knowing that Ellie wouldn't budge no matter how many times she would try to stop her. Harry and Ellie held their stare for a few moments, the boy silently considering her help. He blew out a gust of air, eventually swallowing the opposing comments that yearned to be spoken out of impulse.

"Alert the Order if you can," Harry instructed before turning back around to crouch in front of the fireplace.

Ellie and Hermione locked gazes, the latter displaying a wary look of protection. Meanwhile, Ron quickly caught onto Harry's plan, seeing that green flames began to overtake the pit.

"Are you mental? We're going with you," Ron protested as he leaned lower to his friend's level.

"It's too dangerous."

Hermione crouched beside Harry. "When are you going to get it into your head? We're in this together."

"All of us, she means," Ellie corrected as she walked over to stand beside her girlfriend.

Hermione looked up at her lover, nodding in an accepting finality. "Yes, all four of us."

Their tender moment was interrupted by a dreadful voice emerging from behind them.

"That... you... are..." Umbridge announced, her appearance severely disheveled from what seemed to be a narrow escape from the students' ambush.

Ellie immediately took a step in front of her girlfriend and placed a protective hand on her shoulder, ensuring herself that Hermione was safer in her touch.

The room was suddenly swarmed by members of the Inquisitorial Squad, who held them each in a restrictive position, and the lovers were separated harshly without choice. Ginny and Luna were thrown into the room just shortly after, taking the captive positions of Ellie and Hermione. Just as the members finished tying Harry to a chair, Draco walked in and dragged an unhappy Neville.

Umbridge lowered her stance to stoop to Harry's level, her enjoyment flooding through proudly.

"You were going to Dumbledore, weren't you?"

"No," Harry replied honestly with a level of sarcastic satisfaction that pushed all of Umbridge's buttons.

Within a split second of his response, the headmistress smacked Harry hard across his face. The image combined with the booming echo made the members of the DA wince at the action.