19 - Expecto Patronum

It was April 1st, 1996.

The last month had been uneventful, the tyranny of Umbridge growing at a fast rate. Ellie had spent the day pulling pranks and other sorts of mischief for Fred and George's birthday, being sure to make Umbridge's well-being a nightmare.

The DA assembled later that evening, the atmosphere buzzing with excitement from Harry's announcement of a new spell: the Patronus Charm.

"Make it a powerful memory. The happiest you can remember. Allow it to fill you up," Harry announced as he paced around the room.

Ellie monitored the others alongside him, making the appropriate corrections to struggling students. She helped Seamus sputter his Patronus before moving to George, who she watched emit his wispy guardian.

"A full-bodied Patronus is the most difficult to produce, but shield forms can also be equally useful against a variety of opponents," Harry yelled from across the room. "Just remember, your Patronus can only protect you for as long as you stay focused."

Ellie and Harry met beside Luna, watching with intent as the Ravenclaw produced her Patronus, a cloudy hare.

"Lovely animal, they are," Luna spoke as Harry walked away to give his attention to another student. "Hares are said to be connected with the moon somehow."

"So I've heard. Maybe it has a connection to your name," Ellie observed. "It's Latin, I believe. I learned about the language at my old school."

"Perhaps," Luna shrugged. "Though I think they are free spirits. That's why mine is a hare. They could go wherever they want—they're absolutely free."

"Yeah, I guess that makes more sense. But keep working, alright? You're doing great."

Ellie gave a proud smile as she turned away from the Ravenclaw, making her way to Hermione. The Hufflepuff smiled as she observed her girlfriend, her lip tucked under her teeth as she donned an expression of concentration. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, eventually flicking her wand in a circular motion. The tip of her wand shook, and a blinding, silver animal emerged. Hermione finally opened her eyes to take in the otter that galloped around her.

"Finally," Hermione exhaled with a wide beam, noticing her girlfriend from the corner of her eye. "Makes sense to have an otter—they're quite clever, you know."

"And cute. That's another thing you two have in common," Ellie winked as she lowered her voice. "Nice work, darling."

Ellie backed away with a smirk to attend to Neville, who seemed to have difficulty with performing the spell. Harry announced words of encouragement once more before approaching his assistant, tapping his wand against his thigh in a jubilant manner.

"Did you ever get a go at it?" Harry questioned.

"No, but I've been helping around," Ellie replied honestly.

"Then what in the bloody hell are you doing walking around?" Harry exclaimed, catching the attention of the other students.

"Well, now everyone's staring."

"Oh, don't be so shy. Everyone struggles, even the best of us. Go on then, show us what you got."

Ellie withdrew her wand with reluctance, the students gathering in a circle around her. She reviewed the requirement for the spell and closed her eyes. Thinking about last Christmas with the Weasleys, Ellie recited the incantation. A semi-transparent cloud appeared from her wand, the Hufflepuff frowning at it as she opened her eyes.

"It's okay, Ellie. Not everyone gets it on their first try—or their second, or third, or fourth. It'll take some more practice—"

"No, I want to try again, Harry," Ellie interrupted with a new determination to prove herself.