Chapter 1

"Spare change please sir," thirteen year old Rose Thornton said as she was sat on the ground. The man that passed didn't give her anything. She shivered as she pulled the dirty blue jacket around herself. A woman that looked like she had money was about to walk by. "Spare change please miss." The woman looked at her, stopped in her tracks and began to rummage in her bag. She grabbed her purse and opened it. She grabbed a note and handed it to the teenage girl. "Here you go." "Thank you."

Rose checked the note and saw that it was five pounds. It was better than nothing. She gave a small smile to the woman as she walked away and she placed it in her jacket pocket. She looked in both directions to see if anyone was going to walk past her. She saw a man in a black suit. "Spare change please sir." He stopped walking and turned to face her. He squatted down to her level and gave her a sad smile. "What's your name?" His voice was deep. "Rose."

"Well Rose, I'm afraid I haven't got anything on me right now." "That's okay." "How long have you been on the streets?" "Two years." "And how old are you?" "Thirteen My parents were in a car crash and didn't make it. I can't get a job and I couldn't afford to pay the bills. I lost everything." "I'm so sorry for your loss Rose." "Thank you." He then held his right arm out to her. "Come with me." She suddenly shivered and he noticed. He took off his jacket and placed it around her shoulders before helping her to her feet.

They walked towards a black car. An Audi. "This is a nice car," she kindly commented. "Thank you. Please get inside." She got into the passengers seat and watched the man get into the drivers seat. "Where are you taking me?" "You'll see," he replied calmly. "The local orphanage?" "No. Somewhere better." She didn't know whether to be excited or worried. She settled on worried because she didn't know the stranger and she didn't know if he would keep his word.

After an hour of driving, Rose and the stranger arrived at a mansion. Rose looked stunned. "You live here?" "Yes. Do you like it?" "Well...it looks very...roomy." "It is. Come on." They left the car and she pulled the strangers jacket over her as she shivered again. When they entered the mansion, Rose suddenly fainted. "Rose."

He checked her pulse and she felt fine. She was just exhausted from being on the streets. "Sir," a woman said as she approached him. "Alexandra. Inform Joseph that I need his assistance." "Yes sir." She left and the man who was named Joseph approached him. "Yes sir?" "Please carry Rose to an empty bedroom and make her comfortable." "I'll get a maid to help her as well." "Thank you."