Chapter 9

Rose was fighting against Joseph and Sam was pleased with her progress. He then carefully put her in a chokehold position and she managed to free herself and flip Joseph over. Sam then stood in front of her. "No dad." "You're ready. Please." She sighed and charged towards him. He managed to grab her, but she managed to escape his grasp and grabbed his right wrist and pull his arm around his back, causing him some discomfort.

"Wow Rose. They taught you well." "Yeah. Well I can defend myself now." "I know you can. I believe in you." "Thank you." She looked at Sams parents and saw the look on their faces. "Am I that good?" She looked at Sam's mother and her mouth was wide open. "Honey, you're catching flies." "She's only thirteen and she's good at self defence." She then watched her new fathers father stand from his seat. "I'd like a try."

"Dad?" "What?" "Not you." "I just want to try. I promise not to hurt her." "Okay then." Rose watched her new father sit on the sofa while he watched her and his father have a try at self defence.

"What if I did this move?" he asked as he ran towards her and grabbed her wrist. She moved from under him and twisted his arm so it was behind his back. "What about this?" He did the same to her, but it was a little painful. She didn't tell him that, but the next move she did was the same, but a little harder with a twist. She pushed him to the floor. Everyone was shocked.

"Are you okay Richie?" "Yes Sammie, I'm fine." She helped him up and Rose apologised. "Don't apologise. You were great." "Thanks." They sat on the sofa and drank their drinks. "I think you have her very well trained son. I'm sure she can defend herself in any situation. What are you doing about college for her?" "Well since she was homeless, I'll let her decide. I was going to choose one for her, but if she wants to go to her old college, that's fine." Everyone then looked to her.

"Can I go back to the college I was enrolled at please?" "Of course. If you want to change colleges or I have to pull you from it to go to another one, I will." "Okay." "I'll let you start on Monday. That will give us time to get you your uniform. What did you do for lunch?" "I paid for it." "You're getting a packed lunch. Save your money." "Please don't say that because you're rich." "It's not that. I want to be able to provide for you."