Chapter 16

A couple of days passed and Rose was talking to her father. "Can I ask you something?" "Of course you can." "Remember a few days ago when you told me that you were homeless and never adopted?" "Yes." "Why do you have parents?" He then confessed. "I'll be honest with you Rose, my parents I have now, never actually adopted me, but they took me under their wings." "But you still call them by mum and dad." "They're like parents to me. They accepted it and I lived with them until I started the company." "Okay." "It's fine, you wanted to know something. I don't mind telling you."

The two remained on the sofa until lunch. That's when Sams mobile rang. He answered it. "Hello?" Rose patiently waited for the phone call to end. "Yes mum...no, you can come over...now is fine. We'll see you soon. Bye." "Your mum?" "Yeah. I'll get my parents to explain to you about how they became my parents." "Okay."

Two hours passed and Sams parents arrived at the house. They were invited inside and everyone took a seat on the sofa. "Mum, dad?" Sam began. "Rose asked me a question a couple of days ago. I think it would be for the best if she asked you herself." His mother agreed. "Of course. What would you like to ask us?"

Rose was nervous. "Don't be afraid Rose." "How are you my dads parents if he was never adopted?" "Well, when we found him on the streets, we couldn't leave him. He was just a young boy that needed someone to take care of him. We never adopted him. He told us what happened and we just took him in. Cared for him and loved him like parents should do. But when he called us by mum and dad for the first time, we knew. He was to be our son."

Rose then understood. "What about a sibling?" "Actually, we did think about it. I kind of had my menopause early and I couldn't have kids. That's when we stumbled upon your dad and we thought one child was enough." "What's menopause?" "You know your period?" She nodded. "There's a certain time in a woman's life where her period stops completely." "Can't you make it start again?" "If you talk to your doctor about it, but when I spoke to her, there wasn't a way to start it again. Then the next words broke me." "What were those?"

Sam looked at his mother. "It also means that you are unable to have children." Sam then said, "that's why they took me away from the streets and into their home."