Chapter 1: Welcome Home

Things have changed, I'm no longer wandering around Oregon as a starving wandering wolf, I finally have a home here in Idaho all thanks to Chase. It was a few weeks ago since that gruesome night, the night where I thought I was going to end up as a wolf corpse.

It's eleven in the evening, I'm sitting on a sofa close to a fireplace just thinking about the things that happened back in Oregon. I've killed so many, too many, I can't stop thinking of their cries and screams.

I wanted to stop thinking and just listen to the crickets outside, but they're still in my head. I want to forget it all and have a peaceful life.

"Darwin?" It was Chase, who came down from the large curved stairs, she looks exhausted just by looking at her messy fur and her tired eyes. "What're you still doing here?" She asked, "I... I just can't stop thinking about what happened back in Oregon, why are you awake?" I asked, "I've been having those dreams again, Darwin. Not dreams, more like nightmares.".

"What were you dreaming this time?" I asked, "I saw Derek in my room, he had shotgun holes all over his body, he looked like a corpse, he kept staring at me in the dark. I kept begging him to stop, then that's when I woke up." She explained, "I've been having nightmares every night ever since we got here, what's wrong with me? Am I going crazy?" She asked, I shook my head. We just had a lot of trauma back in Oregon, so it's understandable about Chase's condition.

"I don't wanna tell Kieran about this, he might cry all over again, not again. You've seen how he cried in Derek's burial, it was heartbreaking!" She said in an unsettled manner as she rest her paws on the coffee table. Kieran stays in the same room with Chase and he's probably sleeping by now. That poor fox got his eye scarred and bones broken, but he's alive and that's all that matters.

I slowly yawned and stretched my arms, "I'm gonna go to bed, see you in the morning, Chase." I said and stood up, "Yeah, see you..." She slowly turn away and walk upstairs, I walk out of the lodge and take a deep breath of fresh air.

They call this place 'Haven', it's quiet here, all of our homes are mostly cabins and lodges, but some of us like me live in renovated houses. Solar panels are installed on all of our roofs—we also get power from a hydroelectric plant. We have night watch guards patrolling around to keep us safe, everyone here is also pretty generous.

"Evenin', Mr. Gray." A patrolling tiger greeted me as I walk to my cabin, I made a quick nod and greeted back, "Evening." I took out my keys and unlock the door. I turn on the lights, which are warm in colour, I drop the keys on the dining table and went upstairs. The crickets are really loud tonight, the stair's creak as I take each step, reminded me of that old house back in Oregon where there's that dead blue jay in the bathroom.

I enter the bathroom, flick the light switch and turn on the sink to wash my face. I look at myself in the mirror, "This wolf's getting old." I said. Not everyone gets to grow old like me. Derek, that hanged fox, or the Fate Watch hunters I killed, they were all young.

At last I enter the bedroom, the wolftrooper suit's on the bed so I take my clothes off except my boxers and wore it, I then finally go to sleep.

Morning, the sunlight coming from the blinds touch my face, I grunted and slowly get up. I heard a call downstairs, how did someone enter my home?!

"Hello, Mr. Gray?" A familiar voice called me out, I came downstairs and it was Kieran sitting on the dining chair near the kitchen.