Chapter 12: Confrontation

I waited for two hours and finally, I heard knocking. "Darwin, it's us." Frank from the outside called. I open the doors and both of them are a little wounded. Jake looks petrified, "What happened?" I asked as Jake sits down on the chair, "Nell's settling in a large library. Jake knows the way." Frank rests his left arm on the wall and sighs.

"We're getting Chase today. I want all of us to go and get her, y'hear? Nell and her shitbags might be more dangerous than we think. I want my sister back!" Frank's really pissed, I look at Kieran and my chest starts to ache, it's too dangerous for him to come.

"When are we going?" I asked, "Now." Frank said without hesitation, I sighed and approached Kieran. "Kieran, it's time for us to get her back. Always stay close to me, okay? I really care about you more than you think." I pat his shoulder, the fox's eyes started to get watery, "Once this is over, you, me, and Chase'll go fishing together again, okay?" I said, Kieran nods and sniffed. "Okay. Let's go." Kieran stood up.

We got out of the church and follow Jake, Kieran stays beside me no matter what. Frank is a little away from us, he has this sinister scowl on his face. "Frank? What happened back in Unity Station?" I asked. He made a grunt and spoke, "We found one of Nell's friends, but he's not the one who's with her back in Idaho. The bastard was hard to talk to.". "You hanged him." Jake said in a lowered voice, "What?! Why?" I was startled and confused.

"He got what he deserved." Frank said, I shook my head and sigh. It's getting darker and a bit foggy as we wander the crumbled roads and passing though collapsed buildings, we then found a large electronic gate—so large that it's almost impossible to pass through. "Great, just great." Frank complained.

"We just need to find the source, first let's find the wires and follow where they lead." I said, we started to look around the area, shoving away the plants on the ground to look for wires and checking the vine covered walls. "Here! I found wires!" Kieran waved his paw at us, "That's my boy." I pet Kieran and his tail wags.

The wires are leading to a police station. "The source is in there. Let's go check it out." I step inside the wide open entrance and follow the wires, the wires are leading to the stairs going down and the atmosphere's a little thick, then coral spawn started to appear. "Everyone, spawn." I warned them, we all wear our masks and step down.

The basement's growing with corals, some even make faint sounds as we got closer to them. "The wires lead right... there." I pointed at the generator. "Everyone, do you hear anything strange? Any Reefed?" I asked as I check the generator. "None, just those corals." Frank said, I try to run the generator and it makes a loud noise every time I pull the starter.

"Darwin, keep it down." Frank whispered, "I'm trying." I said. We hear a growling in the distance, a large silhouette that has the shape of a large broad person approaches, "Shit." I quickly aim my shotgun at the approaching figure, the figure emerges from the darkness and it was a brute! Not just any brute, its corals are like metal! "Darwin, it's a hammerhead! Stay back!" Jake whispered as we take cover behind tables and shelves.

Its head does resemble a hammerhead shark but I can't see the face of the host. It started to roar and crushed a table with its fist. Kieran gasped and covered his mouth, Frank grab a mug on the floor and threw it at the farthest area of the basement. The hammerhead roared and follow the noise.

I quickly crafted a molotov cocktail and kept it at my bag's bottle holder, everyone else ready their weapons. "Guys, cover me." I try to start the generator, I keep pulling and pulling—then the hammerhead noticed us! "Everyone! Take him down!" I said.

Frank, Kieran, and Jake started shooting at it as they keep changing cover. The hammerhead did a charge towards Frank, he rolled away and the hammerhead crashed through a wall, they keep shooting at it, but some of the bullets bounce off from its metallic corals. The generator starts to work! I light up my molotov and threw it at the hammerhead.