Chapter 9: Hunters from Eden

I approach the body of a wolftrooper but Jake suddenly asked: "What're you gonna do to him?" "Let's wear their bodysuits, it'll cover us from coral spawn." I explained as I remove the dead wolf's armour revealing his black tight suit.

I take his suit off and kept it in my bag, then I just stare at the naked wolf corpse... "Hey, you take the other one." I pointed at the other wolf corpse. "Alright." He replied.

After having the suits we hide inside a bank and take off our clothes. As Jake takes off his pants he looks at my body, "Woah." He was amazed, "What?" I asked, "That's a lot of scars, who did them?" He asked, "I got all of them from Oregon where a group of teenagers threaten anyone in their way. I was tortured by their leader once but without the coyote that saved me... I could've been dead.".

"Damn... I'm glad you have her by your side." He said, "Yeah..." I replied as I put on the wolftrooper suit. After putting on my clothes I look at him, he's still trying his best to wear the suit. "I-It's a little tight, Darwin." He stammered, "C'mere." I pulled his suit up and now his body's fully covered except for his head and tail.

"God... I look so embarrassed right now." He scratches the back of his neck. "You'll be used to it, now go wear your clothes.".

After leaving the bank and wander again, we arrived at a neighbourhood and heard chattering. I take cover behind a wall and take a small peek, they're armed wanderers—not wolftroopers or Ferals. "Jake, some wanderers." I said in a lowered voice, "Those aren't wanderers, they're from Eden." "We finally found them." I said. "C'mon, let's do this." He replied.

"Hey Amelia, is this where our first team gunned them down?" A gator asked, "Yeah, I'm glad they've taken out most of those damn cultists. I feel bad for the wolves who died there." The deer said. "Me too..." The gator replied.

They're armed and dangerous by the looks of them—I don't want to harm them of course, they're not like the Ferals here—unless I have to. "Let's try find one 'willing' to talk to us." I said to Jake. "Alright, let's try." He said. The town's surrounded by hunters, I have to try capture at least one or two hunters here silently.

We hide ourselves from house to house, Jake points at the roof of a large house and I see a vulture wielding a bow. As the vulture looks away from our direction we rush ourselves inside another house and ended up in the dining room.

My ears twitch as I heard someone upstairs, "It looks pretty in here, all these trees and plants..." "Yeah, it sure does, I do wanna visit that greenhouse back in Eden." They go downstairs and went outside, I'm glad they didn't see us. Jake and I quietly went upstairs and found a collie writing on a table, he's listening to music with his earphones.

"Guard me." I whispered to Jake and I slowly approach the collie with my knife at the ready. I quickly show my knife at his neck and he put his paws up. I can feel his chest beating—he's scared. "Do you know a cat who recently kidnapped a coyote?" I asked, "W-What?" He asked with his eyes getting watery, "Get this fucking thing off." I furiously take his earphones off and my knife touched his neck, he gulped and quietly sobbed.

"I'm not gonna ask again." I said in an intimidating and lowered tone. "Nell? I-I don't know, but her wolf friend's at the t-train station." He explained. "What station?!" I said, "U-Unity Station." He sobs. "You sure she's the one who kidnapped a coyote?" I asked, he quickly nodded and said: "Chase is her name, right?" It's really her! The cat by the name of Nell kidnapped Chase! But now I started to think of how to go the station but suddenly he shoves my paw away from him and grabbed his knife—I grab his paw and we both growled, I swiped his knife away then I stab his neck.

He gurgled and spilled blood out of his mouth, I slowly lower his face to the desk. "Goddamit..." I said. I realised there's a compound bow leaning beside the desk, I wave at Jake to come over here and show him the bow.

He quickly picks up the bow and wore the quiver and now we need a way out of this scouted neighbourhood. "Through here..." I jump out of the open window and gave Jake a helping hand on his way out of the window. "Stay low, kid." I said as we walk through the roof tiles. We must take it slow since stepping on roof tiles make a noise each step.

As I found a spot where no one is seen and a pile of sacks on the ground, I jump down and landed on the sacks and Jake jumped as soon as I get off. We carefully run away from the neighbourhood then heard a shout. "Guys! Someone killed Kenny! They must be out there!" Everyone got alerted so we ran as fast as we can.

We started panting, we vault over windows and go around corners, they're after us! I see hunters shooting right at us from the windows, all we could do is try not to get shot. "Whatever you do! Don't stop!" I said to him. He was shot by one of them, he screamed in pain and slowed down, "Dammit! Through here!" I grab his paw and quickly enter a garage.

A goat came out of the door and got startled. "Oh shit! They're he-" I threw a powder bomb at him, he started to cough so I tackled him and slam his head to the floor—he's knocked out. Someone shot me from the doorway, I screamed and got down. "Darwin!" Jake shouted and aim with his bow.

"Stay back!" Jake yelled at the cougar emerging from the cloud of powder, he stopped and raised his paws up. "Drop your fucking weapon!" He yelled again.

"I said drop it!" Jake shouted, "Shit!" The cougar drops his pistol and kicks it to him. "Now stay down!" Jake ordered, the cougar lie down with his paws behind his head. "Goddammit..." The cougar murmured. I slowly stood up and cover my wounded arm, Jake picks up the pistol and he pats my back, "Darwin let's move!" Jake said in a panicked manner.

We continue to run, even though we're injured. We ran through the trees and I trip and fall, I whimpered trying to get up and he try to raise me up and I screamed. "Stop, stop!" I screamed and Jake stopped helping me, "What's wrong?" He asked, "My leg's injured." "Shit, try to get up! I'll cover you!" He said, "No! Just go! I can get up." "Then fucking get up!" He shouted.

I heard a loud rumbling, like a speeding car coming at the road. A pickup truck stopped by the road and honks, the door was open and it was Kieran! "Darwin! Get in!" Kieran shouted as he wave his paw.

"Kieran?!" I stood up and side hopped my way to the car while Jake tries to cover me. I jump in the backseat while Jake jumps on the truck bed and brought out his pistol—he slaps the side of the pickup car and shouted: "C'mon let's move!".

The backseat's a little cramped as most of the space are blocked by junk and supplies, the driver's Frank and Kieran sits beside him. "Frank, Kieran?!" I exclaimed, "I was worried about you so I had to tell Frank!" The conversation was interrupted by gunshots, "Goddammit boys, talk later and let's get a move on!" Frank hits the wheel and drive as far as he can.

"Frank! The Reefed!" I shouted and pointed at the right side as the coral infected animals are coming right at us, "Oh god!" Kieran screamed, Frank furiously turn the steering wheel and went to another side of the road while Jake starts to shoot them.

"Dammit!" I take out my pistol and started shooting at the chasing Reefed. After shooting around I ran out of ammo and grab another from my pocket and reloaded my pistol, "Frank, you better get us the hell outta here!" I pat his shoulder, "I'm trying dammit!" Frank yelled, "Frank watch out!" Kieran points at the fence in front of us, all of us screamed.

We crashed through the fence and the truck is stuck, "Oh fuck oh fuck!" Frank panicked as the Reefed gets close, one of them grabbed Kieran through the window, he started to scream. "Get off of him!" I shot the vessel and Kieran broke free.

The truck is backing up and came back to the road, we're out!