Chapter 2: The Feline (Five Years Later)

(Nell): I wake up, looking at the metal ceiling of the RV, the trees from the outside make dappled lights through the windows, it's pretty calm here in Idaho, unlike Colorado where cultists mess around with their sadistic methods. I get up from my sleeping mat and step outside of the RV. I'm a pretty exhausted cat right now.

We're in the middle of a quiet and abandoned town that was taken by nature, Tom and Faye's camping outside. "Morning Nell." Tom greeted. Tom is a white wolf, even though I hate wolves I like him. He's the serious and quiet type and all the girls love him back in Colorado. He sometimes wears a black blindfold whenever he goes out doing bounties.

"Heya Nellie." Faye greeted too. She's a seventeen-year-old golden retriever, she originally lived in Oregon but her boss killed her best friend after trying to escape, it was just a year ago where she managed to escape and live in Colorado with us, she then came back to Oregon again to have her revenge.

"So Tom, are we getting close to her?" I asked him, "Yeah, just a few hundred meters South, we should go there by foot, we need to conserve gasoline

"So Tom, are we getting close to her?" I asked him, "Yeah, just a few hundred meters South, we should go there by foot, we need to conserve gasoline." "Alright, let's just get this over with and get her out of there." I said, "You sure? You haven't eaten anything yet." Faye said and Tom nodded. "I'm fine, I ate a lot last night anyways. C'mon, fix that table and let's go.".

After a few minutes of cleaning up the camp, we grab our bags and guns from the RV then finally set out. We stumbled upon a neighborhood, it's pretty calming, I always feel at ease by looking at the houses coated by vegetation.

"Oh goddammit." I grumbled, the path is covered by a large mass of mossy debris, "I guess we should try to go around it." Tom said, "Agreed." I replied. "Through those houses, we can also search for supplies and materials there," Tom said.

We hopped inside an open window and cautiously landed, Tom closes his eyes and sniff. "I don't smell anyone or sulfur here, I think we're safe.". I'm glad those alien corals aren't around, or people for that matter.

We stood up and wander around the house for supplies. Faye opened some drawers and found alcohol and supplements, "Nell, look what I found." She said, "Nice one, keep the alcohol in your bag, I'll take a few pills." I said, "Wait, aren't these pills expired or something?" She asked curiously, "Medicine expires, but supplements only lose their quality, which means it's fine I guess." I explained to her, "Oh alright. Here, catch." She tossed the pill bottle and I grabbed it.

I swallowed some pills and drank a little bit of water from my bag. "Anybody needs some pills?" I asked and wipe my mouth, Faye shook her head while waving her paws, Tom raised his paw so I tossed the bottle to him. "Huh, vitamin C..." Tom reads the label.

We suddenly hear growling and shrieking at one of the houses, we quickly crouched and stick together. "Oh fuck, the Reefed are here," Faye complained. "Language," Tom said.

That house's close to the path we're supposed to head, so I guess we have no choice but to beat the hell out of them. I sighed and stood up, "Alright, let's fuck 'em up." I said in a cocky manner, Faye chuckles.

We get closer to the house, we hear one of them slamming a door from the second floor. We enter the house and found a vicious coral infected rabbit close to the staircase. "It's a biter, lemme take this one out." I slowly crouch towards him while he's not looking, I quickly grabbed him and crushed his neck with my arms. "Crap, you are strong." Faye whispered at me, "Nothing but my daily workout routine." I explained to her. "Faye, the corals sucked up most of the nutrients from the host's body, which makes the host weak." Tom explained, "Heh, I'm messing with you guys." I said.

I found another one in the kitchen, one with a wide coral disc for a face, it's a sprayer. I hide behind a table and brought out a revolver I borrowed from Faye. The sprayer puffs out a large cloud of toxic coral spawn from its 'mouth' as it wanders around, I'm glad I took cover.

If I try to grab him he might just spray coral spawn around as it panics, so I can't touch him. He got closer to me and sprays another cloud.

 He got closer to me and sprays another cloud

I go around the table to avoid the cloud. I found a pipe on the ground and picked it up, I went from behind and struck him with it, he's down and about to get up—I struck him again, stomped his face to the ground and I growled in anger. "Nell! I'm hearing footsteps coming down!" Tom warned her, "Dammit, here they come!" Faye freaked out.

An infected crow came downstairs and roared at me, I charged at him and crushed his face with the pipe but I accidentally dropped it after the strike, a deer tackled me to the table as I try to shoot with my revolver. The revolver dropped and I struggle to break free from him, Faye picked up the revolver and shot him—the gunshot was really loud. I kicked the corpse away from me and I shivered a little. "Disgusting little bitch!" I raged. "Well, at least it's over," Faye said, I pant from exhaustion and massaged my arms.

 "Well, at least it's over," Faye said, I pant from exhaustion and massaged my arms