Chapter 8: Searching

Two in the morning, we're a few minutes away from Alexa Street but we're tired and worn, Jake and I rest inside a house in the middle of a neighbourhood, his family used to live here he said. It rains a little and the ground is soaking wet, the smell of rain does calm me down every time. The windows and doors are barricaded, which means it's a safe place to rest for now.

Jake's resting on a sofa and about to sleep, I lie down on a pile of pillows and rags on the floor and decided to sleep with him...

I'm back in Oregon, the same hotel where Kieran and I met and fish together for the first time... Kieran's standing beside me, happy and fishing with me.

"Darwin! I think I got one!" He said, I smiled at him as he quickly and cautiously reel in the line. "C'mon Kieran, you can do it!" I cheered, he's starting to struggle so I quickly stood up and hold his paws. "This is how you hold the handle properly, alright?" I taught him, Kieran quickly nods and the fish got closer.

Kieran finally caught the fish, it's a cod. "Darwin look!" Kieran holds the cod as he smiles, I smiled and pat his head, "Good job kid!" His tail wags as I said that.

We head back to the hotel and rest by the fireplace, Kieran started cooking the fish at the fireplace with a clean frying pan. "Darwin," He said, "Yeah? What is it Kieran?" I asked as I sit on the sofa. "I wanna hang out with you everyday, but I don't think I can survive for long..." He said, I stood up and rest my paw at his shoulder.

"Don't say that, I'm here for you—no matter what. Besides we're coming to Idaho with Chase, remember?" I said, I realised his eyes are watery, he sniffs and wipe his tears. "Thank you, Darwin.".

"C'mon, after we're done eating we're leaving this place, alright? We're going to Idaho." I said. I immediately ended up being tied up inside the warehouse of Fate Watch again, I see the fucking reindeer again who's holding a baseball bat. Kieran's pinned down on the ground by her friends—he's not moving and he looks like a rotting corpse already. "Stop! Stop it!" I shouted, then her baseball bat crushed his face and I immediately woke up.

I gasped and got up fast, I'm back in Colorado. "Shit, why..." I covered my face with my paws and sobbed. I shed some tears and try to breathe normally. "Kieran...".

I stood up and look around the house, it's still raining and Jake's asleep. I get upstairs and found a guitar on the teenager's bedroom, it reminded me of Kieran back in Idaho where he was performing at the campsite, that was a month after Derek's death. Kieran always visit Derek's grave everyday, he really missed his friend so much.

I enter the balcony and smell the scent of pine and rain, I take a deep breath and exhaled a cloud

I enter the balcony and smell the scent of pine and rain, I take a deep breath and exhaled a cloud. "What time is it?" I asked and look at the sun, but the sky's covered with rain clouds, but I think it's early to get up.

I went downstairs again and shake Jake's shoulder, "Hey Jake, wake up." I said, he started to groan and rub his eyes, "What is it?" He asked, "Let's head out, we're getting close." I said. He checks his watch and yawns, "it's six in the morning but sure let's go.".