Chapter 18: The Library

At noon, Tom, Faye, and I got out of the station and waved Chris goodbye—we're heading to the library. We take the elevated highway to easily pass through the city below.

The rusted cars are scattered around, we sometimes have to vault over them to go through, we've checked inside the trucks and cars for anything valuable. "Hey Nell! Found some ammo." Faye called out from the police car. "Here you go." Faye got out of the car and gave me shotgun shells. "Oh nice." I said.

There are floating jellyfish-like Reefed ahead of us, they have orange cores and a colourless epidermis, their tentacles are really short and they make faint humming noises.  "What the hell are those?" I asked, "Never seen them before. I guess you two can give them a name." Tom said.

"Hmm... oh! Bobas?" Fay suggested, "Where'd you get that from?" I asked, "There's this new drink the cafeteria's selling, it's called boba tea!" She said, "Right... boba it is." I continue to walk ahead.

The boba's don't react to our presence, it looks like they don't really give a damn. Some of them are sticked on the cars and the road, "What are they even doing?" I asked, Faye picks up a rock and threw it at one. The boba exploded into a loud burst of hissing spawn, we all got startled. "What the fuck Faye?!" I yelled, "I don't know! At least we get to know what they do!" She explained, "She's got a point." Tom said.

We cautiously walk around the minefield of bobas, there's a cluster resting up ahead. "Stand back." I said, Tom and Faye went behind me as I pick up a bottle. I threw the bottle at the bobas and the cluster made a massive explosive, we all started to cough and wave our paws around.

The path's clear, we get to move on. We've reached the end of the elevated highway and enter the streets. "How far is this library?" Faye asked, "Just a few more minutes, we'll get there." I replied.

We arrived at the large old library, the outer walls are covered in vines and the bricks are a little mouldy. I open the doors and step in. The library is surprisingly bright all thanks to the large windows, it smells like antiques and dust in here—I hate it. It's massive in here, I might get lost in here before I can even find Chris' stuff.

"Should we split up or stick together?" I asked, "Together." They both replied. "Jinx." Faye said to Tom, he just chuckled. After a while of searching, we found a pile of open crates lit up by the sun from the outside, "There we go!" Faye rushes to the cache and looks what's in store for us.

We kept the MREs and ammo in our bags, "How about the armor plates, do we need them?" Faye asked, "If you wanna." I said, Faye wears some of the plates for her arms.

We settle in the lobby area and eat our packed foods with our guns beside us, it's getting dark outside. Faye's reading a book while lying on the floor close to the fireplace, "Whatcha readin'?" I asked, "The Shiny by Stefawn King. I liked the movie Chris gave me a few years ago." Faye said.

"How many movies do you have in your shelves?" I asked, "Probably around fifty, most of the discs are pretty scratched though." She said, "They still work, right?" I asked, "Not really." She replied. "I'm gonna find some books upstairs." Tom takes the stairs with his rifle at hand, "Chris mentioned that there's a generator here right before we left the station, wanna come?" I asked Faye, "Sure." Faye stood up and follow me.

I search around the library and found wiring outside with a ladder leading to the roof. "Faye, stay here—I'll handle this." I climbed the ladder and approached the generator room, the door's shut tight, I hold the doorknob with both paws, take a deep breath, then pulled the door out as I roared. I found the generator, it's well maintained and it seems it was cleaned recently.

I check the fuel gauge, it's half empty. I turn on the generator and try to test it by turning on the light switch beside me, "It works!" I then found a journal on the table, I take a peek inside and it was Chris'.

March 5, the wolves brought in a Feral, he's tied up and I asked what's it about, they said he killed one of his friends. They all look so mad but the cultist looks frightened, he's younger than me and he keeps begging to let him go. As the wolves left, I quietly let the cultist go and he thanked me with a handmade necklace... I kept it in my pocket.

March 6, the wolves got mad at me yesterday, I tried to calm them down but it only got worse. I'm such a stupid wolf, no wonder why I got discharged by P.A.C.C..

March 7, the wolves take their armors off and did an org—

I quickly shut the journal as I heard a gunshot and a scream inside the library! "Shit!" I got out of the room and shut the half destroyed door. I climbed down and found out the windows from the inside have lights, I think the chandeliers are working. "What happened?!" I asked Faye "Tom shot someone inside!" She said as we both take cover with our guns ready. The voice who screamed sound familiar for some reason, could it be the guy from Idaho?

"Tom?" I step inside, I get close to the injured coyote, It really is him. "The coyote from Idaho?" I said. He quickly brought out his pistol and try to shoot me, "You fucking asshole!" He yelled but he was shot again by Tom from upstairs, he screamed even more. "Frank!" Someone hiding behind the bookshelf shouted.

I step on the coyote and growled, I'm looking for them, I take out my pistol and aim at his head. "All of you, come out!" All of them went silent. "No one? I guess you wouldn't care if I blow his fucking head off." I take the safety off. "Pathetic." I said in a lowered voice.

A wolf, raccoon, and a fox got out of cover and raise their paws up, "Fuck!" The wolf said, "Toss your weapons! Toss 'em!" I yelled at them, they all drop them and shove it to me. "Where's Chase?!" The wolf asked, Chase? The coyote fox? "We gave her away! It's just fucking business!" I said, "You piece of shit!" The coyote on the floor bit my leg, I screamed in pain and stomped his face, "Get off me!" I said.

I point my pistol at the wolf, "Now, what the fuck are we gonna do with you now?" I said.