Chapter 3: Imposters

After taking a long trek around the neighborhood, we spotted a large log wall in front of us, we're here. "We arrived, you know what to do. Don't act suspicious, we're here for the girl." Tom said quietly. I'm curious why our client's so concerned about the girl.

The large gate is built within a road, does that mean people own vehicles here? It suddenly opened, there are guards with rifles coming out. "Hey there, what's your business?" The lioness in the middle asked as we raised our paws. "We're just here to stay for a few days and hit the road again, do you have any food or shelter available for us?" Tom asked politely.

"That depends if you're not a threat, take your things out slowly please." She ordered, we take off our bags and guns as the guards gently take them from us. "We'll confiscate them for now, but we'll return them to you once it's all clear, as for the firearms however we have to take them for you to stay.". "We understand, thanks for letting us in," I said.

After signing a few papers at the office with a yellowish fox named 'Frank' we get to stay inside a lodge for a while. Faye's already talking to a bunch of teenagers inside the lodge, Tom sits on a sofa and brought out his abacus and notebook for his commissions back in Colorado, he sure does have a lot. 

I just stand here and look around the gorgeous lodge. I wish I could stay for a while but I should focus on my bounty. "Hey, Tom, who's the name of that girl he keeps mentioning?" I asked, "None of us know her name, but our client said the Fate Watch members that she spared said she's a coyote half fox." He explained in a lowered voice.

"Should I ask someone to know where she is?" I asked, "Don't, we just arrived here and it's going to be suspicious if we immediately ask for the girl who destroyed Fate Watch." He said. "So what the hell are we supposed to do?" I asked again, "Have patience, we'll see her soon enough.".

It's nighttime, around twenty of them are eating at the dining area near the fireplace, it's lively here—just sharing stories from their daily work to bug catching. We stand beside the staircase and talk around but suddenly we hear some kind of fight, A group of bullies started messing with a fox wearing an eyepatch—they took it off, showing his pale scarred eye.

"Please don't do this!" The fox begged as he cried, "Oh look who it is? The bastard who spilled my coffee, if only your eye is fine you should've avoided it!" The coyote said and punched his face, he cried even more

"Please don't do this!" The fox begged as he cried, "Oh look who it is? The bastard who spilled my coffee, if only your eye is fine you should've avoided it!" The coyote said and punched his face, he cried even more. "Is that all you can do? Just cry like some fox kit?!" The white bird chuckles. A wolf quickly descended from upstairs and shouted: "Hey!". They all stopped and look, he looks really mad.

"C'mere you little shit!" He grabbed the coyote's shoulders and headbutts him! Everyone at the dining area looks frightened and so are we. The wolf pulled his head up and punched him then growled, "If you mess with him again I'll fucking break your leg, you hear?! Now scram!" He yelled, all the bullies cower away and went outside.

Everyone's silence slowly fades away and went back to talking and dining, the wolf raised the fox and hugged him, "Shh, it's okay, you're alright kid." The wolf comforted him as the fox sniffs. "That's a pretty badass dad." Faye complimented.

"Darwin?" A female voice was heard from upstairs, "It's nothing Chase, it's just those damn kids again." "Those guys again?!" She spoke furiously and went down and check on the fox. "Kieran, you okay?" She asked him, "Why does this keep happening to me?!" The fox loses it and ran upstairs, "Kieran wait!" The wolf tried to call out and they both ran upstairs.

"Heh, what a night am I right?" I said and smirked, "Hey... I think she's the coyote fox we're supposed to look for, right Nell?" Faye said, "Yeah I think that's the one." Tom agrees.

(Darwin): It's been a few days after Kieran was bullied... again, and I'm starting to think if I'm not a good dad, it's late in the evening and I'm staying inside Chase and Kieran's room. I'm fixing Kieran's fishing rod on the workbench, replaced the wire and handle, it's starting to feel like a brand new rod. "Hey Kieran, how's this?" I showed him his fishing rod, his tail starts to wag, and smiled. "Oh! Thank you, Darwin!".

Chase is just sketching on her desk, but suddenly we heard a knock, "Who is it?" Chase asks, "Oh uh, we're the new guys, we need some help over here. It's urgent." A female voice spoke, Chase opened the door. "What's wrong?" She asked, there were three of them—a white wolf, a golden retriever, and a cat. They all look at each other than stare at her.

What the hell?! Why are they holding guns?! "Hey, how'd you get those guns?!" Chase asked, They came inside with their guns pointing at us, we all put our paws up—I'm scared.

"What the hell's going on here?!" I said, "It's nothing personal, just business. We need the girl." She points at Chase, "Darwin?" Kieran's as confused as I am, "Faye, Tom, keep an eye on those boys." The cat ordered, both of them approaches us with their guns pointed at us. "Don't make a damn move." Said the dog.

"What kind of bullshit's this?" Chase faces the cat, "You're a wanted girl, and the reward is way up high." She said, "Try me, once you pull that trigger, everyone knows where you are." Chase scoffs. "Oh I won't be shooting anyone here and besides, we took care of the guards, you're coming with us!" The cat hits her head with her rifle stock and she was knocked down.

"Chase!" I shouted and Kieran screamed, "I said shut the hell up!" The wolf also hit me with his stock and growled, the dog knocks Kieran out with her pistol, "Fuck, who the hell are you?!" Chase asked exhaustingly, "As I said, it's just business." She kicks her face with brute force, she's unconscious.

"No! You'll pay for that!" I yelled, "I said shut up." The wolf kicks my head real hard, I'm getting dizzy and my vision has small streaks of red. Chase... What's happening?

All of them started talking to each other, the dog's kicking Kieran to make sure he's unconscious—I'm just lying here, whimpering. The cat carries Chase, the voices are indistinguishable, I can see the cat and wolf arguing, "We need a way out of here.", "Back to Colorado.", "Stay low."

My eyes are slowly shutting as they cautiously walk outside, I hope they get caught, but the cat said she took care of the guards, fuck! They are intimidating. "Get... back here," I said then look at Kieran, his head's bleeding. "Kieran..." I then shut my eyes.

" I then shut my eyes