Part 2

15th May 2010

Divya was quite excited that day...She was going home for the semester break. For the past 6 months, she had been waiting for this day to come. Divya wondered how she survived in architecture school in all these 3 years. Sleepless nights with models, piles of sheets, sketches, hours spent on different soft wares ...Everything made her a mess. But no matter this hectic schedule, Divya genuinely enjoyed her studies. When you finish the project and pass the jury, you will get self-satisfaction that will motivate you to work better.

Divya packed her final bag and left from the hostel. Bangalore to Kochi was quite a long journey by train. So she always made sure to carry a couple of chips packets and water. Once she settled herself in the 2nd AC compartment, she smiled widely. Thankfully the compartment was almost empty. The last time she was trapped with a 1-year-old kid, who was crying all night, and it's annoying parents who fought throughout the journey.

Now it's peaceful. Finally, she was going to see him...her Siddharth, after 6 months. Once again she smiled at herself and plugged in her earphones, listening to all the romantic playlists in the world. She couldn't sleep that night because of the excitement.

The next day morning, the train halted at her destination, Kochi. It was raining...A cool breeze with a smell of rain embraced her. Once she got down, she looked around for her father for 15 mins. But he was nowhere to be seen and his mobile phone was switched off.

Divya somehow dragged her bags outside to catch an auto. Suddenly her eyes laid on someone in the crowd, someone familiar. It was none another her Siddharth. Is he here to pick her up? Her face glowed in surprise. Finally, Siddharth spotted her and waved at her, smiling.

His smile... melted her heart and created a little race inside in it. He walked towards her hurriedly.

His clothes were wet in the rain though he was carrying an umbrella.

Hey, sorry for making you wait a long... I didn't know the train was early. Actually, sir has got urgent work that's why I'm here.

Siddharth apologized with a smile.

That's okay Siddharth. You don't need to apologize.

Divya said, hiding her blushed face.

let's go then. You must be very tired.

He handed over his umbrella to her. Then, took all the bags from her and walked towards the car.

Divya was pleasantly surprised. Her day couldn't be any better. She didn't think that she would meet him right away. On a rainy morning... So romantic...

The journey was quite beautiful. Divya looked out of the window to enjoyed the greenery but she didn't forget to steal glances at Siddharth.

How are you Siddharth?

Divya decided to break the silence. Siddharth looked at her in surprise but quickly replied.

I'm good Divya... I got selected for the campus placement. Now waiting for the appointment letter.

Wow... that's great Siddharth... I always knew you were going to get an awesome job...

Siddharth looked at her and smiled happily. Again his smile....

And how are you doing Divya? How were your exams?

hectic... as usual... but exams went well...

Divya sighed in relief.

Anyway, what happened to Krishnan uncle? Why are you here instead of him?

Siddharth's face stiffened.

Divya... my father is ill... He got a stroke 2 months ago. It was a little serious. After that, he is not able to drive. So I've been replacing him these days.

I'm so sorry Sidharth, I didn't about uncle's condition. Is he okay now and how is the treatment going on?

Divya got shocked. Krishnan uncle was working with her family ever since she was born. He was a healthy man. His sudden illness deeply saddened her. Nobody in her family told her about this her.

He is bedridden and doctors are saying he will be able to walk soon, hopefully

Siddharth said with a sad smile to which Divya smiled back.

By then they'd reached Divya's house. It was a huge traditional Kerala-style house, slightly transformed into contemporary design, still stood up in all grandeur. Divya stepped out of the car. Siddharth was already helping with the luggage. Divya's mother and grandmother were standing on the veranda expecting her.

Divya hugged them tightly as soon as she entered the house.

You become so thin Divya, You haven't been eating properly right?

Divya's mother complained like a typical mother to which her grandmother agreed. Divya laughed at them said.

That's okay ladies, you people can work on that in this one month. By the way, where is grandpa?

I'm here only.

Mr. Sivaraman Menon, an old man around 70-75 years appeared from inside.

Good morning grandpa, how are you? Divya asked very politely and smiled nervously.

I'm fine Divya. How was the journey?

It was good, grandpa. Are you going somewhere?

Divya asked him, seeing all ready to go somewhere.

Yes... There is a wedding nearby.

He replied and turned to Siddharth who was standing there quietly.

Hey boy, start the car...I'm getting late.

Siddharth immediately got into the car and started the engine.

"Alright then, I'll reach by afternoon,"

Mr. Menon said in his usual husky tone to which everyone nodded. Divya smiled at Siddharth, who was nervously waiting for her grandfather. She watched them going, till their car disappeared from her sight.