Part 7

September 2010

Divya you have a visitor, waiting at the reception.

Naina Agarwal, Divya's roommate said, as soon as she barged into the room, juggling with chips packets.

Divya looked away from her laptop screen and turned to Naina.

Who is it?

Find out yourself.

Naina winked at her and went inside the Washroom. Divya was baffled. She quickly straightened her T-shirt and headed towards the hostel reception. At the moment she saw her visitor, she stood frozen.

Siddharth

Noway she was expecting him in her college hostel. Why did he come here? Siddharth saw Divya staring at him. He gave a small smile and walked to her.

Hey Divya...

Divya just smiled and nodded.

What brings you here Siddharth? I thought you didn't want to see me ever again...

Siddharth looked at her hurt face. He remembered how he treated her when she was only trying to help him.

Divya...Can we have a talk outside, if you're free today? Please.

Siddharth begged, eyeing at the hostel warden who was constantly observing them with a glare. Divya thought for a moment and said.

Okay... I'll change and come...

Siddharth nodded and went back to the couch. Divya literally ran towards her room with a racing heart. She couldn't believe that Siddharth was here. The last time when they met, it ended up badly. Divya hated that day and didn't even want to remember it. Last month, Krishnan uncle passed away. When Divya came to know about this, she set out to Kochi, without thinking twice. She was deeply worried about Siddharth and his family. Especially Siddharth. He was the only person who believed, his father would be better again. Divya watched how hard he was trying to control his emotions in front of everyone. That's when she approached him. She was just trying to help him but Siddharth lashed out at her and asked her to get out from there. After that incident, Divya felt humiliated. One month had passed. Now he was standing in front of her, pleading to talk with her.

Looks like someone got a date.

Naina said, seeing her roomie shuffling the wardrobe.

This is anything but a date.

Divya rolled her eyes.

If you say so...By the way Siddharth is handsome.

Naina teased.

How do you know it's Siddharth? Divya gasped.

It's all written on your face Dumbo... And Everyone knows how much you love him...

Naina explained with a giggle.

Divya shrugged and went back to the wardrobe. She picked up a yellow Kurti and paired it with jeans. A few minutes later she was ready and walked out of the door. She could hear Naina yelling All the best from inside.

Once they're out of college campus, Divya asked.

What is it Siddharth? Is everything okay?

I got a job... Here in Bangalore.

Siddharth said while walking towards the nearby park.

What!!!! Divya screamed.

Siddharth sat down on a bench and asked her to sit.

Are you serious? Divya asked in disbelief.

Yes... I'm joining tomorrow.

Siddharth filled her the company details.

Congratulations Siddharth... I'm so happy for you

Divya was beyond happy. She forgot everything that happened between them last month and smiled at him.

Divya, I want to apologize to you...I know I treated you badly that day...and I'm ashamed of my behavior...

Divya's face changed as soon as he mentioned that incident. Tears started flowing from her eyes.

Siddharth continued.

I was having a hard time... Dad's death shattered my family. I didn't even know how to console my mother and sister. That's the time you came to us...

Was that a mistake Siddharth? How can I sit back there in Bangalore after knowing your father passed away? All I wanted to do was be there for you... but what did you do? You asked me to get out of your house and said those hurtful words...

Divya sobbed. Siddharth pressed his palm against hers tightly. His eyes were moistened.

I didn't want to say any of those Divya... trust me... That day when you reached my home, unannounced everyone was shocked. I was trying to act strong in front of everyone. But at the moment I saw you, I wanted to cry in your arms Divya...

Divya stared at him in disbelief. She couldn't utter a word. She watched him struggling with his tears.

.....You were there for my family for the whole week and took care of them. I was overwhelmed by your affection Divya... But I happened to overhear the conversation with your Dad and grandfather. I heard how they were scolding you for missing your internals and classes at college for their driver's funeral... It was hard to hear your parents scolding you and you arguing back to them because of me.

I didn't think straight after that and out of frustration and pain, I asked you to get out...

Divya you don't know how sorry I'm for that. Please forgive me Divya...I would never hurt you again...

Divya wiped her tears and said.

Do you know, what I had gone through because of that day, Siddharth... You could have just said the reason, but you didn't. Instead, you yelled at me. I know my grandfather is a tough person, but I'm not like him. And you don't even understand, what you're to me...

Siddharth stiffened. He looked away and said

And you've no idea, how it feels like to neglect and stay away from the person whom you're in love with...

Divya looked at him in surprise. Didn't he just say that... Tears rolled down her cheeks.

What!!! What does that mean Siddharth?

Siddharth slowly held her hands. There was a smile on his face.

Yes... Divya. I don't know how to say this okay, You're the person I want to be with forever... You were always there for me Divya, from our childhood even though I used to avoid you every time. It's because I thought I would never fit in your circle. I still think that... But it can't change the feelings we have. I don't want to be a coward anymore...

Siddharth paused for a second, then said.

I love you..I've always loved you Divya...

Divya was astonished. She never expected him to say that. Before she could think anything else, she wrapped her hands around Siddharth. She embraced him as her life depended on it. Siddharth didn't hold him back this time. He held her close to his heart, without any fear or guilt. It felt like a dream moment for them and wanted to stay in that forever.