Part 16

Divya looked outside as soon as she stepped out of Kempagowda International Airport. She smiled at the memories flashing in front of her eyes, good and bad. Bengaluru was her second home. Without wasting much time she took out her phone to book a cab. There have been a lot of calls from her home. Divya left early in the morning. She just informed her mother she has some work-related job and will be back in 2 days. Though this journey was planned in an impulse, she knew she wanted that. She wants closure. 

Soon the cab arrived. Every time she glanced outside the window she could see her younger days. She was so happy. They were so happy...Each street had a memory associated with them. She smiled at the small tea stalls where Siddharth would bring her on weekends and they would eat vadas and bhajis. It was the perfect choice for their budget. She remembered the rainy days, bike rides, evening walks in Lalbagh. Unknowingly tears starting falling down from her eyes, socked in memories.

********

You've really surprised me Divya!

Naina Agarwal, Divya's friend, and her old roommate hugged her tightly. 

You haven't changed much duffer. Still an idiot.

Divya said laughingly.

Hmm... how's LA and how's my friend and her little munchkin?

Naina asked once they settled down in her apartment.

Good... Charu is a good kid. Doesn't trouble me much.

Divya said smiling.

So... You want to find him now? 

Divya nodded and said.

I need answers Naina. I need answers for Charu when as she asks about her father.

Divya continued

... As far as I know, he sold his hard-earned company and vanished into thin air. 3 years back he was a kind of a celebrity followed by media now nobody knows about him. How's that possible Naina?

Relax Divya... We'll find about him. By the way, I have a friend working in Rajesh Shetty's company... I'll ask him if he knows anything. 

Naina assured.

Thank you, Naina. Please try as much you can. I'm going to our old place. Let's see if I get any clues.

Divya bid bye to Naina and left for their home, where she saw him last.

****

Divya stood in front of their house. The home she designed with her heart. She remembered how good those days were. Siddharth was very proud and happy. It was their dream. Divya felt tears in her eyes. Wiping them quickly she walked towards the gate which was unlocked. She noticed their beautiful garden has turned into a thick forest. With a racing heart, she rang the bell. She was sure that no one lived there by the look of the surroundings. Divya turned to walk away as she got no response from inside. When she was about to leave the building someone called her name.

Madam???

Divya turned around to find a middle-aged woman, Lata who was their old helper. Divya remembered Lata lived closed by. She must have seen Divya entering the house. Divya gave a small smile at the woman and said.

How are you, Lata?

I'm doing well madam. Everything is going fine. It's good to see you again madam...

Lata flashed her teeth and smiled.

..... Are you going to live here again madam?  Sir is also coming back? 

Divya didn't know what to say. 

Hmmm....well,  Lata, We are kind of separated. That's why I left the house. I don't know anything about him after that... Now I've something important to discuss and I've no contact...Lata, Can you remember anything that happened after I left? 

Divya asked. Lata thought for a while and said.

There was something madam,  but I don't know if it's right to tell you...

Lata hesitated. 

Please Lata...it's important...I need to know the details.

Lata nodded understandingly and said.

When I come to the house in the morning that day, I sensed something is wrong. I saw Sir sitting in the living room in a messed-up state. He didn't even notice me enter. When I got inside I realized you and baby were not there. I didn't dare to ask sir what happened... that's when she came...

Divya's heart panged.

Who was that?

She asked in a feeble voice.

I don't know madam, I haven't seen her before. I think she was very tall and lean.I didn't mean to eavesdrop ...but they were arguing then that madam left crying...After few days sir asked all the staff not to come anymore. He cleared the payments as well. And I started looking for another job.

Have you seen him any time after?

Hmm...He used to come home very drunk in all those days. 2-3 times he got into fights with local people because of drunk driving. After 2 months he left I guess. Then I've never seen him here again.

Lata finished. Divya closed her eyes in despair. She nodded at Lata and said.

Thank you, Lata. If you come to know anything related to him inform me okay?

Lata nodded in agreement. Divya started to walk away. Her mind was clouded. An unknown fear gripped her.

Where are you Siddharth???