Part 4

Siddharth was tossing and turning all night. He couldn't sleep. When he tried to close his eyes events from the evening flashed before him. Divya... he'd been trying so hard to hide his feelings all these years. He could act, being oblivious to her feelings. But how can he fool himself? He was very much surprised to see her in his home. Then they walked in rain...He felt like a dream when held her close to him. 

Siddharth knew Divya from childhood. She was a kind-hearted soul, always loved him though she never confessed. He remembered the first time they talked and became friends. He was 9 and she was 8. It was at her 8th birthday party. Siddharth never had a big bash party. On his birthdays, his father would take him to the nearby temple and his mother would prepare his favorite meals with a sweet dish. So, he was very curious when his father told him that they were invited to Divya's party. He had seen Divya when he used to play in the street in front of her house. He had seen her watched them play. But never joined with them. He wanted to ask her but one of his playmates told him that she wouldn't play with the people like them. The sudden invitation to her house made him all nervous. He wore his best outfit which his father bought him during last Onam(the cultural festival of Kerala). When he reached Divya's house with his family, a lot of people were there. All of them looked rich in their expensive clothes. He saw Divya talking to a few children similar to her age. She was wearing a beautiful red frock. He flinched when those kids gave her huge packs of gifts and tightly clutched the tiny gift he was holding. It was a box of crayons. He felt it was too small compared to others. He too sang the happy birthday song with others when she cut the huge cake and ate the lavish dinner that he had never tasted before. He watched everything in amusement. Siddharth was beyond happy when Divya finally noticed him and came to him, abandoning her friends.

Is it for me?

Divya asked eyeing the gift in his hand. Siddharth nodded nervously and gave it to her, praying she wouldn't open it now. She held the gift closely to her and smiled widely to which Siddharth happily reciprocated. When he left her home she waved him bye and smiled again. A pretty smile he can't ever forget in his lifetime.

Siddharth got up from the bed, brushing off old memories. It was still raining. He stood near the window and stared into the darkness. He loved Divya with his whole heart but he was helpless. He knew their differences are like earth and sky. No one will approve of them. Moreover, right now he was not even in a position to think about love life. He has got a family to take care of. He had to pay the loans and debts. Divya was beyond his reach... She was a mere dream for him. A dream which he wouldn't able to chase...

                                                                ************************

Divya was bored at home as she had nothing to do. Her family always treated her like a princess and they never allowed her to do any household work. One week had passed within a blink. After that rainy evening, she had seen Siddharth twice when he came for work, but they didn't have any interactions. He didn't even look at her face while he returned her the repaired umbrella. Divya felt like Siddharth was awkward around her and he purposefully avoided her. The mere thought of him going distant with her frightened her, though she knew, it was only 'one-sided love'.

Divya, come down, see who all are here...

Sreedevi called her from downstairs. Divya's gloomy face got beamed as soon as she heard some familiar sounds. She rushed down skipping 2-3 stairs.

Omg, what a pleasant surprise!! I thought you guys totally forgot me...

Divya said seeing all her cousins and her extended family.

We all came to see you Divya chechi ( sister). You're the busy one... not us.

Gayathri, her youngest cousin said.

How's Bangalore?

Asked Vineeth. He was the eldest one in the group, currently settled in Dubai.

Bangalore is good Vineeth etta ( brother) and how are you all..? Don't tell you're leaving today...

No Divya we're here for the whole week... don't worry... We're gonna rock here until grandpa throws us out...

Hari said, earning a death glare from Mr.Menon, then laughed. Divya was very much delighted to see her cousins. She talked with them the whole day. They were 7 people. Vineeth, Hari, Manu, Shweta, Divya, Keerthi, and Gayathri in age order. Vineeth and Shweta were siblings so are Hari and Keerthi. Divya and Keerthi were the same age.

All of them settled in different places. The only occasion they gathered together was during Onam. So it was actually a surprise that everyone came together at the same time other than Onam.

They spend the day playing Antakshari( a game), watching horror movies, eating a lot of foods which were made by their beloved grandma.

At night everyone was sitting on the veranda.

How about we all go for a trip?? Vineeth asked. All the youngsters hooted to that suggestion.

You people can go, your grandmother and I  will stay here

Mr. Menon said.

Please, Grandpa, we'll go somewhere near...it's the first time we're planning to go somewhere with the whole family.

Divya looked at her grandfather with puppy eyes.

Let's go to Munnar then. It is the nearest place!! Manu said.

Everyone was focused on Menon's face to get a reaction.

Ok.. but we'll be back in 2 days... Finally, Mr.Menon agreed.

Thank you, grandpa... You're great...

Gayathri said jumping like a monkey. Everyone laughed at her excitement. It was a beautiful day for Divya and her cousins.