Part - 3

It's been 2 days since Divya came home. She had nothing to do other than lazing around at home. She didn't even see Siddharth around in these 2 days. She overheard the housemaids talking about Krishnan's condition is worsening day by day. Divya was restless after hearing that and wondered how much worried Siddharth would be.

Divya approached her mother, who was busy in the kitchen. Her mother Sreedevi Menon was an elegant woman in her mid-forties. Everyone used to compliment Divya as she looks exactly like her mother.

Hey Divya, do you want anything?

Sreedevi asked when she noticed Divya entering the kitchen.

No mom... I'm good.

Divya said and sat on the kitchen counter.

Amma (mother), I heard Krishnan uncle is not well... why didn't you tell me before?

Oh...Krishnan had been hospitalized for a month but the treatment doesn't seem to be effective. It's really a hard time for his family. They spend their whole savings for the treatment but still no use.

Sreedevi sighed and continued.

And that boy, Siddharth, he is the only pillar of the family now. Poor boy has got all the responsibilities on his head at this young age. I wonder, how he manages to do 3-4 jobs in a day!

Her mother's voice was filled with sympathy. Everyone in her house felt bad for their loyal employee.

Divya was deeply saddened. All these days her Siddharth was struggling for his family and she didn't even have an idea about it. She really wanted to do something for him, but she clearly knew Siddharth wouldn't take any financial aid from her family. That's why he was working hard and even took up his father's job.

**********************************

It was around 5 o clock in the evening, Divya reached Siddharth's house. She felt a little nervous as she was coming there after so many years. She had visited there only once before, that too probably when she was 8 or 9. When she knocked on the door, a young girl around 17 years appeared.

Divya chechi (sister) you are here?

The girl exclaimed in surprise.

Yeah.. how are you Sneha ?

Divya ruffled her hair lovingly and asked. Sneha just nodded her head in acknowledgment and invited her in. It was a small old house having a narrow corridor leading to two bedrooms and a kitchen. Being an architecture student, Divya always observed the spaces she entered. She couldn't help but compare that her living room is bigger than this whole house. At the same time, she was ashamed and felt guilty for thinking like this. Divya's eyes searched for Siddharth though she knew he wouldn't be there at that time.

Sneha lead her to a room, where Divya saw Krishnan uncle was lying on a bed helplessly. His wife Sindhu, who was sitting beside him noticed Divya and stood up, gave a small smile. That woman's worn-out face explained how deeply she was affected by her husband's illness.

Siddharth told me that you've come for vacation... How are you Divya molee? (Daughter/child)

I'm fine aunty. How is uncle doing now?

Not good. Day by Day it's getting worsened.its difficult to see him in this condition...

Sindhu's eyes welled up. Even Divya's eyes turned moist seeing the family. Both of them walked outside the room.By then Sneha arrived with a cup of tea.