✨🛹 𝕊𝕜𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝟙𝟛 🛹✨

~Your POV:~
Reki and I accepted his condition. We know we shouldn't have, but we did. It was dangerous. A risky bet over something so minor. But why am I so worked up about it? Why don't I want to skate against him? Something in me is telling me otherwise. That this is a risky gamble just to taste the fruits of wisdom.

My head was hung low as I left S. This wasn't something I should've involved myself in, yet I did. Once I left, I headed for my usual spot. Joe's. Even still, I knew Reki and Langa would find me there. I hoped they wouldn't.

"You always come here, don't you? You're almost like a regular customer yet you never order-" Joe says, before I cut him off.

"I'll take a pasta and f/d (fave drink) please Joe." I say.

"Ok, something's up. You never order here unless something happened." Joe says.

"Guess you could say that." I say with a dry chuckle.

"What?" Joe says.

"Were you not at S tonight? I'm racing against Adam. And if I lose... then... someone I know has to go against him..." I say, my head hung low.

"You know, don't you?" Joe says.

"Yeah... it happened to me before." I say.

"I wanna back out... and make Reki back out... but I don't think there's any convincing that I could do to make him change his mind." I say.

"You've gotten yourself in quite the predicament, Phoenix. We'll just have to persuade him." Joe says.

"Yeah... anyway, I'm gonna head home." I say.

"Yeah, ok. I'll get that pasta ready for ya. To go." Joe says.

He heads off to the kitchen and I sit down at one of the tables. My knee was killing me. I knew I needed to rest before the skate with Reki against Adam... but not amount of preparation that I do could ever prepare me for him. I'll just take the next few days off and stay home... I can't stand this whole idea, but then again, I agreed.

Joe came back with a takeaway box and a can of my favourite drink. I thanked him and left, walking home instead of skating. Once I got there, I opened the door and closed it. Before locking it. I placed my skateboard by my doorstep and took my shoes off. I took them takeaway box to the kitchen and heated it up. I removed my mask in the meantime and put it on the countertop.

Once the microwave went off, I took the food out and grabbed a fork. I sat down at the countertop and started eating. In silence. Fed up with living in a lonely house. I'd prefer company. But I'm never gonna get that. I have no family. So I have no one to actually keep me company.

All I could think about was the beef with Adam and the annoying pain in my knee. It wasn't as bad as it was when I did it, but then I said that last line. I finished eating the pasta and threw the takeaway box away and put the fork in my dishwasher. I then grabbed my mask and headed off to bed.

I didn't intend on going anywhere tomorrow. Didn't intend on going to school. Rest was important. But so is mental preparation for Adam. Which I knew I needed. Even if it found that reassurance. That light at the end of the tunnel. It wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference in the actual panic of being drawn in.

It happened to me before. I was drawn in, and ended up with this scar on my knee. Yet, I'm still trying to formulate a plan as to how to explain to everyone everything. Me. Fire Phoenix. The relation between the two. And why I hate Adam so much.

Once morning came, I didn't even budge from my bed. I just lay there. I didn't move. I didn't even glance at my phone. Not like anyone would text me. I don't have a single contact in my phone. I don't even know why I have a phone or why I pay for it. I rarely use it.

Then I had an idea. The first time I raced Adam, someone filmed it. I grabbed my phone off of my bedside table and opened up YouTube. I soon found the video and pressed play. I was trying to get my head around how Adam skates. I sat there, for hours, just watching the video. Over. And over. And over again. It didn't help. At all.

I then heard a knock on my door and knew exactly who it was.

"Joe said you'd be here." Reki says.

"Yeah. I'm staying home for a few days." I say.

"How come?" Langa asks.

"Oh err I have an injury that started playing up. So I'm texting so I don't make it worse." I say.

"Oh ok..." Langa says.

"Wanna had to Joe's? Miya's meeting us there." Reki says.

"Yeah, alright. I could do with some fresh air." I say.

We skate to Joe's and I see Miya already there with Joe. We all head inside and sit down. Joe stood up and then spoke out.

"Reki. You need to withdraw. If Phoenix were here, I'd tell her the same thing. He's the founder of S. You can't beat him. No one has." Joe says.

"I agree with Joe. You need to withdraw." Miya says.

"I have to agree with them, Reki. This doesn't seem safe." Langa says.

"If I may." I interject.

"Y/N?! You're siding with them too?!" Reki says.

"No! I was asking if I could say my side. From what Reki has explained about S and Fire Phoenix was it?" I pause, waiting for confirmation that I was right.

"Yeah." Reki says, egging me to go on.

"Well, from what Reki had said, I think they should do it." I say.

"Ehh?!" Everyone says in unison.

"Y/N, I thought you were the innocent one." Joe says.

"Let me explain! Anyway, I think they should do it. If I'm correct, a beef can be held for any reason. So why did she and Reki challenge him?" I ask, pretending I don't know anything.

"Because he said some pretty demeaning things about Miya." Reki explains.

"Ok. So then that just says that Reki and Fire Phoenix are just trying to look out for you Miya. You can't know a person's true motive without asking them. That's what I believe anyway. How many of you actually know anything about Fire Phoenix?" I ask.

"That she confides in Joe. And likes how I make boards and pay attention." Reki speaks up.

"Is that it?" I ask. Everyone stayed quiet.

"See? So how can you tell two people to stand down from a beef when you don't know their true motives? Neither of you know Fire Phoenix well. So maybe, like Reki, she's looking out for her friends. Maybe she considers all of you friends. But that's just a guess. Where does she spend most of her time?" I ask.

"Here." Joe says.

"Ok and who owns the place?" I ask.

"Joe." Reki says.

"So there you go. Why else would she hang out here? You said so yourself, she confides in Joe. So she trusts him. She must really care for you all if she's willing to skate a beef just to get someone to take back what they said. I am right, right?" I ask.

Everyone stays silent. They know I've hit the nail on the head. That I'm right. Well of course I am, I'd know how I acted around everyone. Or, more correctly, how Phoenix acts around everyone.

"Damn, Y/N. I legit thought you were gonna side with them. I wasn't expecting that. Thanks." Reki says.

"No worries. You just focus on beating his ass!" I say.

It's not like it's easy. It's not. Neither of us are even remotely prepared for this.