CHAPTER 47

Song of the chapter: Anxiety by Julia Michaels & Selena Gomez (also known as the story of my life and Ella's)

The next day I gave myself a decent sleep in, having stayed up relatively late with Theo exercising the advantages of our 'friendship'. My indulgence was obvious to someone like Jess, who was accustomed to me being a tad bit more productive on my weekends. 

"What'd you get up to last night? It's unusual for you to sleep in this much." she had remarked as soon as we had each sat down on the couch to eat some breakfast and watch whatever Saturday reruns were on. 

"I went out with Theo." I answered, not looking in her direction so as not to make a fuss out of it. 

I had filled Jess in on all the details of last Sunday as soon as I had come back from lunch and Lexi had gone home. She had been thrilled that she had been "right about us", jumping around the apartment like a lunatic that afternoon and telling me to cough up the money for a bet I had certainly not made. I had reassured her that it didn't mean what she thought it did. She insisted that we would have to wait and see what was said and done next time Theo and I would meet before she could reject the idea that she was right. Thus, I was not exactly eager to delve into the conversation again lest she try and maintain her victory in the matter. 

"Oh yeah? What'd you guys get up to?" she asked, the upturn in her tone clearly conveying her curiosity. I could just feel her eyes on me as she observed my response. 

"He took me to a teppanyaki place. He figured I'd never been since I told him I had never tried sushi before last week." I responded, trying to keep the details to a minimum to avoid falling into a deep Theo centric hole of a conversation. 

"Did you guys talk about what happened last weekend?" she enquired, shooting questions left and right like a determined detective. 

"We did... and then we may or may not have gone back to his place." I revealed, ultimately giving in and confessing to what else had happened because I needed to be able to talk with at least one person about everything. 

Finally looking in her direction, I found her with her eyebrows raised and lips pressed down firmly as though she was struggling to keep the words in. She took a few seconds to consider what I had told her, obviously trying to control herself, before she continued. 

"So, are you guys sleeping together then?" she asked. 

"No." I promptly answered with a firm shake of my head. 

"Ohhh, right. You've got your rules." she dragged out, as if she had had some huge epiphany. 

"It's not a rule." I quickly declared, on the defensive.  "It's just how I feel in a situation. Since Sam I've just wanted to be more certain about a person before I jump all the way in with them, and if there is one way to describe what is going on between Theo and I it definitely isn't certain. I mean, I dated Derek for how many months and I never took that step." I explained. This, of course, had not been discussed with Theo yet, with it being something I wanted to keep firmly private unless it truly had to be shared. And so far there had not been a need.