CHAPTER 18

A chill loomed over Brooklyn as the imminent winter lay in wait, only weeks away and armed with its rough winds and numbing temperatures which were already appearing at times

A chill loomed over Brooklyn as the imminent winter lay in wait, only weeks away and armed with its rough winds and numbing temperatures which were already appearing at times. I was only a short walk away from my apartment and had my arms wound tightly around my body to keep myself immersed in my own heat. Thankfully, my naturally rapid way of walking was keeping myself slightly warmer.

It was relatively quiet here. This was unlike the bustling streets of the city, where people would push against one another and cab horns would constantly be pressed to create a symphony of chaos, as a time short population exhibited their deprivation of minutes. Few people calmly walked the streets, looking around, chatting and taking their time. On the simple street where mine and Jess' quaint apartment block was nestled away, I had found my escape from the building pressure and rush of the city, something I was grateful for each day when I would return home from work.

I most certainly hadn't been raised a city girl and Brooklyn was definitely a lot more populated and teeming with liveliness than where I had grown up. However, Brooklyn was definitely an improvement, in my opinion, compared to the high density and almost claustrophobic way of New York City. Ironically, despite the liveliness and impeding population of New York City I found it quite lonely. There were just so many people who were so short on time that so much and so many are easily disregarded.

I liked Brooklyn. It was the closest to an escape that I could get if I wanted a job in the city and to still maintain any sense of a life. I liked the way that I could walk down the street and not have to brush shoulders with someone constantly. I loved the way that the trees on the sidewalk had grown so tall and possessed such a richness with age that they now joined to create a magical arch over the street, cascading above you as you walked by. The most ethereal moment one could witness was when it was a sunny day and light would peek through the gaps in the leaves to make an enchanting array of patterns blanket across all that rested below.

Most of all, I loved the way that out here you could actually think. At this time especially, there were no horns or shouts amongst the crowds unlike in the city- it was utterly silent. You could finally hear your own thoughts and allow yourself to process everything now that you've finally retreated from the time-short environment of city life.

There were so many things I truly needed to ponder over. Work was fine and would calm down a bit in a few short weeks, with a short holiday even in store for me over the Christmas break which I was keenly anticipating, so I didn't have match to think about in that area.

However, my social life had been filled to the brim with new activity which was stirring about the routine order of it that I had been quite comfortable with for some time now. With my choice to break up with Derek I had hoped and anticipated some change but I was not prepared for the abrupt nature of that which I had been dealt with socially.

I was now coming home from a date with Damon for lack of a better word, a nice guy who proved to provide enjoyable company and seemed to be a pleasant person to have around. He seemed to show an active interest in me despite our short time knowing one another, which was refreshing and truly flattered me. He was charming, and although he in no way could challenge the exceeding level of charm which his counterpart Theo possessed, he would definitely make some girl out there very lucky to be treated with his presence and attention.