CHAPTER 30

Song of the chapter:

Real Friends by Camila Cabello

*********************************

I've always thought of myself as quite an introverted individual. I thrive in solitude, as long as something hasn't activated my overthinking trait. I could go a whole day by myself, not talking to anyone nor finding myself in dire need of company. I would have my nose burrowed in my latest literary obsession or occupy myself with the lives of television characters.

That was until right now.

I lay on my bed, staring emptily up at the ceiling, hiding away from the world and enveloped within the silence. I'm left worrying how long this silence shall continue with my relationship with Jess, my closet friend, currently facing turmoil. I don't dare to walk outside the four walls of my bedroom lest she return without me knowing and we have to awkwardly face each other, or worse, possibly worsen our conflict.

So I cower behind the barrier of my bedroom walls, letting myself imagine the worst possibilities as I stare up at the white of my ceiling, now longing for the socialisation I had previously taken for granted.

I wonder, will Jess and I get through this?

I know that I may seem to be panicking over a truly minuscule matter but that wasn't the case. Though this conflict between Jess and myself had occurred quite rapidly and over a trivial matter it was still significant to the both of us as over all of our years of knowing each other and being friends we had truly experienced little disagreement.

Sure, there would be times when we truly weren't in the mood for the others presence or specific behaviour but we would simply give ourselves some time alone to recoup. When we felt better and had resolved our inner issues then we would spend time with one another once again.

It was ideal. We both absolutely despised conflict. If I'm being honest, I'm a bit of a coward, while Jess didn't have the patience for it. That was why us living together was perfect. We had been warned of living with a close friend as it was the ultimate test of one's friendship, a win or lose situation, but we proved successful. If one did something to irritate the other, such as being a control freak or leaving items scattered around the apartment, then we would simply inform the other of what we found irritating and come to an agreement in relation to a solution.

I guess the kryptonite of our friendship would have to be the discussion of our romantic lives and the decisions relating to it. It seemed ridiculous, that what we would finally fight over would be my romantic life, but apparently it was my breaking point.

Jess truly cared for me, I know that with every fibre within me. As I do for her. With this caring came an interest in the matters of each others lives. There usually wasn't much happening in my life to be interested in but Jess would still find something. Usually I don't mind.