CHAPTER 39

Song of the chapter: Everybody by Backstreet Boys ... you'll get it eventually ;)

I find myself frozen on the spot once I realise what I'm about to do

I find myself frozen on the spot once I realise what I'm about to do. I know I was walking around like I was on top of the world and some sort of wild child but that doesn't mean I'm ready to actually drive the car myself. I would've been perfectly happy sticking to the passenger seat.

It takes a second for Theo to notice that I was no longer walking by his side and when he does he quickly walks back to me, putting his hand on my shoulder as he checks on me.

"You okay?" he asks, eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"You know, we don't have to go back and do that all again. I'm okay with just having had you drive us around."

"If you're worried about wasting time or something then you don't have to worry. We were always booked in for a double session. I just figured you would have assumed you'd get a go. If you don't feel comfortable with having a go then that's a different story, but it's okay either way." he assures me. "Look, you were a bit nervous about the first go but you saw how great that turned out. I'm sure you'll feel the same this time around."

I take a second to think over what he is saying and what my options are. I could back out of this and we could call it a day. Maybe Theo could even just have another go so the session doesn't go to waste. But then I really haven't quite stepped out of my comfort zone like today was meant to be all about. I was just a passenger on a rather adventurous ride but not someone who could exactly tick off another box on her whole "live life to the fullest" checklist.

"It's just driving like you do all the time.... just a whole lot quicker." Theo adds, making me laugh at his miserable attempt at making me feel any better about this.

"Very reassuring. Did anyone ever tell you that you'd be a great motivational coach or therapist?" I comment, attempting to mask my nerves with sarcasm.

"All the time Ella. All the time."

I slap his arm. Smart-ass.

"So, are you gonna give it a go?"

I assess my options one last time but it's pretty clear what I should do.

"Fuck it, why not?" I tell him.

Theo's face erupts with visible excitement upon hearing that I'm giving in.

"That's what I like to hear."

With a bounce in his step as he tries to describe the upcoming experience to me, he leads me back to where the car and supervisor awaited us last time and the same Ford is waiting for us. He's already getting the supervisor to get us ready for my go when I realise an issue, besides the obvious problem of me shitting myself right now.

"Um... so slight problem. I only know how to drive automatic. I never learnt manual." I reveal once he walks back over to me.

"Oh ... uh ... not a problem. I'm sure they have a car you can drive. Let me check." he tells me.