CHAPTER 9

"Miss Adams, is something wrong?" I hear, breaking me out of my reverie with a tone that sends chills down my spine

I look away from the empty space my mind had disappeared into back to the extremely dissatisfied face of Monique. She awaits a response from me, her eyebrows raised with irritation and dismay, and I can almost see the ticking of a clock and dollars signs floating away behind those eyes of hers as each second goes by. From the impatient look on her face I'm going to guess she definitely doesn't care if something actually is wrong. Clearly my shock had distracted me for far longer than Monique or myself desired.

"Sorry, Miss Kelliher. Nothing is wrong. I just got lost in my thoughts for a second planning out the day." I respond, attempting to cover up my clear and momentary derangement.

She seems to respond with an expression which appears to almost say 'hmph' in annoyance before finally walking off without a reply back to her office, leaving me to finally cope with the changes in our schedule and the news I have been confronted with. I slowly settle back into my seat once I see Monique arrive back at her desk, as though I must be hesitant in case something else decides to spring up out of nowhere to surprise me.

"You okay there?" Stella's checks, having rushed over to my desk as soon as she saw that Monique's attention was elsewhere and that I was finally free.

"This day just keeps getting better." I sarcastically comment, already overwhelmed with today.

"What now?" Stella wonders, her curiosity taking over the better of her as she takes a seat on the corner of my desk.

So I start from the beginning, finally getting around to revealing to her how I broke up with Derek which she seemed to react with both sympathy and satisfaction about. I then go on to explain my meeting with Theodore and my obvious interest in him that night. When I break the news regarding the reveal of Theodore's relationship with my sister, Stella reacts with both shock and amazement at what I admit would be truly fascinating entertainment; almost straight out of a telenovela. I felt an extreme sense of deja vu rush through me as I recalled how only two days ago I was recalling these events to yet another friend, no more clearer about the whole situation now then I was then.

When I finish my recollection of the past week's events Stella sits there with her eyes wide with what seemed to be an eager hunger for more information and utter shock.

"Goodness gracious, you've got a lot going on. Remind to bring popcorn next time we go over what's happening in your life." Stella remarks, making me quirk my mouth and raise my eyebrows with agreement.

As I speak, Stella seems to lean in closer to me, resting her head on one hand before she whispers to me so that only I can hear "Just how hot is this guy, because Lindsay from photography seems pretty excited to take a damn photo or two," she asks me, making me divert my gaze away from her to whatever is on my computer screen so as to completely ignore answering. "Oh come on, just answer the question." she begs.