CHAPTER 23

Song of the chapter: Nervous by Shawn Mendes *you'll know when I intended it for*

The rest of my Tuesday night goes past in a blur of chocolate and long sisterly talks, a lengthy reminiscing session of the old and simple times direly needed in this time of sudden change and growth

When Wednesday morning arrives, I awake to the sight of Lexi's bags all packed up and ready to go beside the door as she waits to say goodbye and go back home. She hasn't told me how or when she is planning on telling Mason, Dad or Baba about the pregnancy but I just assume that she'll be doing it promptly once she arrives back home, so I remind her that I'm always there for her if she ever needs me.

We keep our farewells quite short, the both of us still not the most awake since it isn't even seven in the morning yet. After a few words and warm embraces are exchanged, Lexi makes her way out, claiming that she'll be fine to make her way around without me, so I go ahead and start getting ready for work.

As the mayhem of our lives continues to send our lives spinning with chaos, the fast pace of it all throws us into December, the month seemingly arriving out of nowhere despite it feeling as though the year had only just begun. With this time of year came the increasing degree of chill; the type that kept you yearning to remain within the warmth of your bed under a blanket and which never seemed to decrease no matter how many layers you wear.

I had always been one to enjoy the heat, usually found outside basking in the raw warmth of the sun on a scorching hot day while others locked themselves away in their air-conditioned rooms. I think that was one of the things I truly loved about Australia- it was so magnificently warm there during the warmer season but never too cold during winter. Australia's coldest winter days were like a typical autumn here. The fact that there was no snow there, except in some mountain regions, also helped satiate my desire for warmth, with snow being beautiful to me but also so incredibly cold and irritating at times.

Reminiscing of my days living in Australia makes the reality of the current cold more devastating, the frosted windows which appear before me making matters worse. As soon as the temperature dropped to make way for winter I couldn't ever seem to wear enough layers. It wasn't that I was someone who was always cold, I just extremely enjoyed a state of incredible warmth.

This made it harder to dress myself when winter would arrive, finding myself going through so many pieces of clothing which would have to be washed more often if I wanted to have something to wear. It is only halfway through the week so I still have some clothes to choose from, my supply not yet diminished.

I turn on the heating as I flick through my wardrobe, hoping it will be warm enough in my room by the time I have to get changed, as there was nothing worse then having to get changed when it is cold. Thankfully, it is toasty enough in my room, with the heating on full blast and my door closed, that when I need to get changed out of my incredibly warm and fluffy sheep-patterned pyjamas its manageable.