CHAPTER 12

Throughout my life I have been blessed enough to be able to say I've never really had any health scares

Throughout my life I have been blessed enough to be able to say I've never really had any health scares. Sure, I catch the average cold or stomach bug like any other person, but besides that nothing so extreme. I've never been in hospital, never missed more than three days of school or work from sickness. I've only had one blood test taken in my life which took a lot of convincing and for which I had to close my eyes. Hence, at this moment any sense of confusion and disarray which I may have felt had been amplified.

I knew that I was conscious enough to feel the rush of air surrounded me as I fell to the floor, only to feel the tight grip of hands as they clutched me. I also seemed to be aware of this immense level of pressure which  was rapidly increasing to the point where I thought it had to pop within me. It was then, as I anticipated the shrieking burst within me, that I somehow noticed the darkness begin to overwhelm my sight as though I were falling asleep and the noise of the city seemed to grow quieter.

I was so tired, all I wanted to was to give in to these strange sensations which were growing stronger and stronger. I seemed to be drifting delicately between a state of consciousness and unconsciousness. Oblivious to anything I was experiencing right now, I thought I would be free to rest now. 

However, just as I am about to fully give in to the sensations, I am pulled back to consciousness like I am floating back up to the surface of the cool water after slowly drowning.

"Ella!" I hear, the alarmed shout echoing around me and filling my ears. The voice is familiar but I can't seem to pinpoint it like in that annoying way when you can't quite remember what you were about to say. "Ella, are you okay? Please respond."

I'm too tired to open my eyes, I just want to rest for a bit and escape the stresses of my life for a few short moments but the desperation and worry in the voice seems to beg me to respond. Feeling too guilty to ignore it, I muster a minor grunt in response to the pleas.

"Ella?" they ask again, seemingly not convinced by my response as I feel the smooth touch of a hand as it attempts to move my hair from my face and stir me into consciousness.

"I'm okay," I answer and I'm shocked by the raspiness of my voice. "I just want to rest for a little bit." I add, sounding like a child in the morning as they beg for just a few more minutes of sleep before they have to get up for school.

"No, Ella. I need you to stay awake. Please, Ella. Can you do that for me?" the voice pleads, their hand still brushing my face so warmly and delicately that I move into the tender warmth as though I'm cuddling into a blanket  on a chilly night.

In my mind, I groan in response to their pleas, not wanting to return to the world just yet and just wanting to continue my trip to recluse for a little longer. However, I don't seem to possess any sense of control over what my mind is thinking and what my body is doing as I hear this groan come out of my mouth.

"Ella, what's wrong? Are you in pain?" they ask me, the anxiety growing in their tone with each word they utter. "That's it, I'm calling an ambulance."

As the word ambulance is said, I feel myself instantly pull myself back up to consciousness. My fear of hospitals is so deeply rooted within me that it is stronger than my desire for rest and it is able to will me to wake up.

"No, please don't take me to the hospital." I beg, beginning to squirm in their arms as I feel us move together.

Knowing that I won't exactly be very convincing in my case to avoid the hospital if I remain unconsciousness, I slowly try to easy my eyes open. However, just like when you are awoken far too early and your eyes are still craving the serene darkness of sleep, as I open my eyes the light seems so blinding that I instantly squint and shut my eyes.

"Ella, you're not well. You need help." they tell me, remaining persistent with their desire to involve medical help. However, even in my current state I am stubborn and maintain my utter refusal to be taken to the hospital.

Hoping to prove a point, I know I must take this one last chance at opening my eyes and returning to consciousness so as to prove that I don't need to go to the hospital. With yet another effort, I deny my exhaustion and face the brightness of the world so as to finally look into the eyes of this person and attempt to be convincing.

I resist the urge to squint, waiting out for the fuzziness of the spots from the blazing light leaves my eyes and I can see just enough. When the spots leave, I am not only able to see who had come to my rescue but am also met with the worried and observant stare of a certain bewildering male. At this moment, with my eyes slowly adjusting to the lights and array of colours, he seems to be illuminated by his surroundings. The shades of the world seem to shine out in beams around, enveloping him with what seems like a halo and allowing for the enchanting tones of his eyes to hypnotise me.

Now that I see him, I feel like a fool for not recognising his voice but am too fatigued to truly critique myself.

"Please, take me anywhere you want but don't take me to the hospital." I plead, doing my best to maintain the stare taking place between us with my drooping gaze, hoping to guilt him into listening to me.

For a few seconds, there is only silence and I can feel my body trying to pull me back into unconsciousness but I'm too stubborn to be taken back. I know it will certainly send me on my way to the hospital.  I can see the debate taking place within his mind, behind the anxiety of his eyes and frown, and feel like defeat is around the corner but I maintain my innocent and pleading gaze nonetheless.

"Fine, Ella. You better not make me regret this." he responds, as he lets out a sigh which I can feel against my cheeks as the coolness of his breath meets my skin.

As soon as he provides his approval, I feel myself helplessly forming a smile on my lips whilst I continue to resist unconsciousness. Once again, I feel like a little Ella all over again and I reminisce of the completeness I felt as a child. It was the belonging fulfilment I felt when a tired me would lay in bed with my parent's gentle hands tucking me in within the warm confines of my blankets, leaving a soft kiss on my cheek before I drifted off into the wonderful land of my dreams and inner adventures.

As I remain in Theodore's arms and he guides me away to lord knows where, I feel myself instinctively nestling into the warmth of Theodore's body and allowing myself to rest in his clasp. And just like in those days of  true happiness and  security, I could feel the soft touch of his hands as they pushed the strands of hair off my face again, easing me into the haven of my dreams.

****************

Sorry for the delay, I had to change some things around as I wasn't fully satisfied with how my writing and storyline was going. I felt like it didn't completely fit in with in what I was imagining and planning out so it had to be changed slightly and this is only after nearly completing finishing the original version of this chapter. Oops.

It's also a bit of a shorter chapter because my rewrite ended up going a lot longer than I planned so i've split it in two but the next chapter should hopefully come around soon too. I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't end up as long as I thought, although I think it will, I might just put the two parts together. We'll see (geez i'm indecisive).

Also, if you ever have any song suggestions or have a song that you listened to while reading that you felt really suited, please feel free to let me know.

Hope you're enjoying this Theo+Ella fest that's going on. More to come next chapter!

Vote/comment/share

TheFictionDreamer

************************