𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 6~ 𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝐵𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒

Nobody's POV

"Time to put your training to work! I have faith that each of you will be a credit to you regiment!" A Garrison soldier shouted.

Armin struggled to put his gear together. "Armin? What's wrong?" Eren asked him in concern. 

"I— Don't worry, I'm fine. Just give me a second for my nerves to settle." He lied, shaking intensely.

"This is bad, isn't it? There's a hole in the wall eight meters wide and we don't even remotely have the engineering-know-how to plug it. That huge Boulder near the front gate was our best bet, but we couldn't out how to hoist it in place. Unless we seal the breach, the entire city's as good as dead! How long do you think before they take Wall Rose? Seriously, how long? Think about it! Anytime the mood strikes them, they can wipe out the human race in an afternoon!"

"Armin!" Eren shouted as he grabbed his arm. 

"Listen to me, you're focused on the past. Look ahead. We're not gonna be the victims anymore!" Eren protested. Armin looked down and tried to calm down. 

"Sorry, I— I'm okay." He replied. Y/n his shoulder and he looked over. She gave him a reassuring smile and nodded. He calmed down and took a deep breath.

~

"I want everyone split into four squadrons, as practiced! All squadrons are responsible for supply-running, message relay, and enemy combat under the command of the Garrison Regiment! The intercept squadron will be taking the vanguard! Cadets with be taking the middle guard, led by the support squad! Rear guard will go to the elites! I expect you to all man your posts, knowing the Advance Team has been wiped out! That's right; the outer gate is history! The Titans are in! This means the Armored Titan is likely to reappear! If and when he does, the inner gate will also be history!" An elite shouted. Everyone looked horrified, predicting that they're gonna fail badly.

"Quiet!" The elite shushed. "Right! Those in the vanguard, be ready! The whole area is well-nigh saturated! Your mission is a very simple one: Defend the wall 'til the evacuation's done! Now, be aware, all of you. Desertion is punishable by execution! If it comes to it, lay down your lives! Dismissed!"

Everyone rushed and panicked around the yard.

Y/n sat down on a bench and looked down. 'We trained for three years, I shouldn't be scared.' She thought. 

Armin noticed her a few meters away and walked to her. "Hey, Y/n. Are you alright?" He asked in concern. She looked up and sighed. 

"Yeah, but I can be better." She replied as she stood up. "So, who's in your squad?" Y/n asked him. 

"Well, I know that Eren and Mina are in my squad. What about you?" Armin replied back. 

"I'm with Conny, Ymir, and Christa. Knowing Ymir and Conny's uh... friendship, there is probably going to be lots of casualties between them." She chuckled nervously. Armin smiled as she laughed.

"I just want say one thing, Y/n. Don't die, please." Armin pleaded. Y/n nodded with a tiny smile. 

"You too. Also, I'm not trying to be overprotective, but... If something happens please find one of my squad mates or just scream, okay?" Y/n asked. 

Armin's mouth opened naturally while processing what she said. "No no, you don't need to risk your safety for me." Armin said, waving his hands in front of him. 

Y/n looked in his blue eyes. "No. You're one of my best friends and I'll do anything to keep you, Eren, and Mikasa alive and well. You should know that." Y/n assured.

"Cadet Y/n, you're squad is ready." A elite signaled her. Y/n sighed. 

"Yes sir, I'll be right there!" She nodded. Y/n looked back at Armin. "You should head to your squad too, Armin. Stay safe, okay?" Armin watch Y/n as she walked around the corner. 

"You too, Y/n." As much as he appreciated her caring about him, he didn't like that she'd risk her life for him.

~

Y/n's squad was flying through the air when they hear a scream. "What was that?!" Conny questioned. 

"I think it came from the direction Eren and the others went!" Christa shouted, which made Y/n instantly go in the direction.

She spotted Armin sitting on the roof. "There's Armin!" She pointed. 

Conny and Y/n landed in front of Armin, staring at the roof with widened eyes. 

"Armin! Wake up! Hey!" Y/n shouted as she put her hands on his shoulders. 

"Snap out of it, Armin! Say something!" Conny said as he tapped his cheek. 

"Armin, what happened! Talk!" Y/n said desperately. Armin finally shook back in reality. 

"There you are. What's going on? Where's your squad?" Conny said relieved. 

"Squad?" Armin repeated quietly. 

"Tell me what happened." Y/n asked, crouching down to him. 

"Let's get you on your feet. You shouldn't be out here alone. Also, what the hell is this slimy crap? What happened?" Conny asked in concern.

Armin then suddenly started screaming. "You're worthless! Why can't you just die?!" Armin shouted at himself. 

"Armin! Pull it together! Where is everyone?" He asked once more. 

"Let it go Conny." Ymir sighed. Conny and Ymir duked it out while Y/n tried to get him to say something. 

"Armin. Tell me what happened." She said calmly. He looked in her eyes with tears. 

"I..." He whispered as he looked away. "Eren, he... he died in my place.." he explained as more tears went down his face. Y/n's mouth opened in reaction to her friend's death. She quickly held Armin in her arms as they both cried in each other's shoulders.

As they separated, Conny crouched down to him. "Alright, come on, we gotta get out of here. Are you able to stand?" Conny held out his hand. He stood up on his own instantly. 

"Sorry to be a nuisance. Don't worry about me. I'll rendezvous with the rear guard." Armin said as he walked over to the edge. 

"Wait- Armin!" Y/n shouted as he leapt off.

"Conny, Y/n! Hop to! We've been given orders to advance!" A squad member shouted.

~

Your POV

Conny and I looked down where Armin flew. "Conny, Y/n! Hop to! We've been given orders to advance!" One of my squad members shouted. 

Conny started walking while I still stood there, looking down the street. "Y/n? We need to go." Conny said behind me. 

"I know. Sorry." I reply looking back at him. We both caught up with our squad to advance.

~

We found a big group of cadets on the rooftops. I spotted Armin sitting against a wall and went towards him. I landed lazily on the roof and toppled over next to Armin. We didn't say a word to each other until Mikasa called out to us. 'How are we supposed to tell her about Eren?' I thought. Mikasa ran over to us. 

"Armin, Y/n. Are you two okay? Are you hurt?" Mikasa asked. 'Yes.' I thought to myself. She looked around her and asked the question. 

"Where's Eren?" She asked. "Armin? Y/n?"

I can hear Armin crying next to me. I hid my face in my knees. "They were— The cadets of Squad 34. Thomas Wagner, Nack Tierce, Milieus Zeremski, Mina Carolina... Eren Jaeger!" He sobbed. "These brave five upheld their duties. They died valiantly on the field of battle!"

Multiple people were having little conversations about it. "I'm so sorry, Mikasa. If should have been me that died, not Eren! I couldn't do a thing. I'm worthless!" He cried more. I felt a hand on mines and looked up at Mikasa. 

"Armin. Y/n." She said to get our attention.

"Calm yourselves. We haven't got time for you to get emotional."