CHAPTER FOUR

"You can't be serious." Jessica walked around the table to stand by my father's place. "This is something that you cooked up and dragged Edward in on to get back at me."

I made a move to respond but I was intimidated to do so. Instead, I slowly shook my head.

"I assure you that I am absolutely serious. As I was explaining to your father, I recently came home and realized when I saw your sister again for the first time, my feelings came quickly flooding back to me. I would love nothing more than to marry her and begin our life together."

Edward sat down slowly pulling his chair closer to mine. He took my hand in his and Jessica's eyes narrowed.

"Mr. Swan, do I have your permission to court your daughter?" Once again Edward asked looking to my father and doing his best to ignore my sister's presence.

My father's mouth moved to answer but Jessica stepped forward.

"No, you don't. As the head of this family, I say who Bella can date and marry," Jessica declared.

Jessica was right. It was within her power to put an end to this and she would never allow this union knowing that it would place me above her. I sighed and began to pull back from Edward, but he wouldn't give in. He kept his hand firm and gave Jessica a smile with a wicked gleam in his eye. The very same look I had seen on his twin sister's face earlier that day.

"I am not here to seek your approval. I could care less about what you agree to or not. Charles Swan is the person I respect when it comes to matters of his daughter's heart and happiness. Isabella has told me all about you, Jessica, and I would never allow someone so petty and vile to plague our existence for even one more minute. Now, shoo! Or I will call your husband and explain how our family will have nothing more to do with the Newtons and all of society will know to shun your kind. Do you really want to challenge me?"

Like with Esme, Jessica wanted to say many things but refrained out of respect for the natural order. Her face was red, and it wasn't from the high temperatures our house held during those summer months.

Jessica slowly shook her head, so her words won't betray her, but her eyes are lethal and trained on me. I refuse to look up into them believing at that moment she has all the power to incinerate me from the inside.

"Good. Now that we have that sorted out. Isabella explained that you are here to see to a proper marriage and since I am providing that with my good name, you don't need to be here anymore. I'm sure your husband would welcome your early return. Once I have your father's approval for courtship, I will see to Isabella's care. You need not worry about your sister for one more second."

I feel giddy at the thought of Jessica's early return upstate. Could it be possible that she will be out of my hair until the Christmas month? I squeeze Edward's hand and nearly tear up at the thought.

Jessica has been dismissed by not one but two Cullen's on the same day. One being in her own home which is quite impressive. Trembling, I imagine from anger, Jessica walks towards the staircase and slowly retreats up to her room. When she is out of earshot, Edward turns back to my father.

"Are you sure this is what you want, son?" my father asked. Not to be mean but because he too knew of the uphill battle we both faced.

"There is nothing I could ever want more," Edward replied.

My mother reaches over to take my father's hand. I am amazed that she has managed to stay silent this whole time but then again, she is only one step over me, so she would have no say in these matters.

My father nods his head and gives Edward a genuine smile.

"Thank you, sir. You make our family exceptionally honored and happy with your declared intentions."