CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Edward didn't come home after a couple of days like he told Emily he would. I could have texted him and hoped that he would call me back as he did when we were courting, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I had my own troubles to deal with after all. One, I couldn't decide whether I should tell Edward about the kiss. If I were to do the right thing and tell him, he could lose all sense of reasoning and do something to have Jacob taken away to the white ward.

The white ward was predominantly kept for law-breakers. However, if a family had enough influence, it wouldn't take much more than a call, and then, a person could be thrown away and never heard from again. A lot of money had to grease the palms of the authorities if it were someone of a higher class, but it could be done. If it were a lesser, just one phone call could ruin a person's life.

With Edward's temper being what it was, I was sure it would take less than a second before his hand reached for the phone when it came to Jacob Black. He had already made his stance very clear with concerns about Jacob. Edward didn't trust him. So, if I was smart, I would not tell him. It was only one kiss, and Edward might never find out. Hopefully, Jacob took my absence as a clear sign I would no longer be working with him, and he could return to the west from where he came.

However, if I didn't tell Edward, the lie could eat me up. These things had a way of coming out into the open and then what would Edward think if he found out from another source. He said he trusted me above all else. That trust would surely dwindle if given this opportunity.

Rock. Hard place. Don't mind if I just allow myself to settle right between you two.

The weather began to cool down, which was much appreciated for someone my size. As the leaves started to turn, I took the opportunity to appreciate them. Finally, my favorite time of year was quickly approaching. Most days, I found myself sitting in the garden to witness the beauty. I found that it calmed me from all the worrying feelings my mind was barely containing.

It had been two weeks since I last saw Edward. Two weeks since I had sex with Edward. Each day that he was gone, I drove myself crazy with thoughts of why he would go away for such a time and never even call or write. Whether I would tell Edward about Jacob ate at me too. I wondered if it would be best to have him back, so I could just tell him about the kiss and let the chips fall where they may.

Edward would begin classes in two weeks. Originally, he was to commute up and back for classes, living at home with his fiancé rather than in some dormitory. It wouldn't be proper for a man to live in such a place when he had his family at home. At least that was what I was brought up to believe.

Esme would check in on me from time to time, always finding a reason to come over, stating some need she had in my opinion on the Blessing Celebration. But I knew she was coming by to see I was still okay. The last reason she gave me was to request me to hand-deliver an invitation to my father for our Blessing Celebration.

I hadn't talked to my father since he signed me away like a piece of property. Even though he was kinder than my mother, it didn't mean I looked forward to tracking him down to hand him this silly invitation. I guess I had higher standards for my father. I knew it wouldn't take much for my mother to sign me off, so she could get what she wanted, but I never thought my father would buckle under the pressure.

"Seth, would you please take me to the Authority Station over on Main?"

Seth pulled the car out of the driveway. I looked down to the finely embossed invitation and ran my fingers over the raised 'C' on the ivory linen paper. The envelope was heavy. No doubt the most expensive paper used.

I decided to wear my navy dress with the white lace trimmings. I knew my father always liked seeing me in blue. My full dress fanned out over the back seat of the car, my nerves causing me to pick at it for any loose threads. But this dress was of the highest quality, so not one thread to be found to occupy my focus.