Princess Buttercup - Minho

"There you go." I had just cleaned and bandaged up a Cook's hand, who had apparently been so clumsy that he managed to cut his finger and then even burn the palm of his hand on the way to the Med-jack hut. I sighed and rolled back my shoulders slighty when he walked out of the door. 

Clint had his day off, which meant Jeff and I had to do all the work on our own, and usually that wasn't even bad since we often didn't have much to do, but today a lot of the guys seemed to be stressed and unconcentrated. It was the middle of the afternoon, the sun was still shining brightly outside and for the fifth time today I wished I had the day off instead of Clint - but I hadn't. Instead, I was stuck inside with Jeff, who was just as annoyed.

Normally we always had fun together. The boys were quite talkative and often we had good conversations about everything and anything. But today was just not a good day for me, and Jeff didn't seem to look forward to any kind of conversation either. I stuffed the rest of the bandage I was holding back into a makeshift cupboard and put the scissors I had used next to it. Then I sat down on one of the beds, which were all empty - luckily. I hated when someone was hurt so badly they had to stay in here. 

Jeff was rummaging around in the room, probably searching for something or putting something back where it belonged, I didn't know. I looked outside, debating whether to get fresh air for a second or maybe a glass of water from the kitchen. I loved my job, absolutely, but today something was off and I just wanted to get out of this building. In a quick movement I stood up, balancing my weight on my feet for a moment and then looked up at Jeff, who was clearing out a drawer right now. 

"I'm gonna go get something to drink." He only nodded as I walked out and took a deep breath. I didn't realise how stuffy the room was until I finally got a bit of fresh air outside. Enjoying the light breeze on my skin I slowly made my way towards the kitchen. When I passed the Gardens, I stopped and took a moment to look for Newt. We had grown very close, not only was he my best friend, but also my boyfriends best friend, and I told him everything and trusted him with my whole heart. I waved when I finally spotted him and carefully stepped over a row of freshly planted carrots to get to him. 

"Hey Newt!", I claimed enthusiastically, not only because I was that happy to see him - I had just been talking to him about two hours ago during lunch -, but mostly because I was happy to even talk to anyone. "Hey there", he answered and glanced up from his work. "What're you doing?", I asked. I allowed myself to flop onto the dry grass next to him and watch how he cut a small branch of whatever plant we were looking at here. 

"Gardening", he simply said, focusing on the plant. I rolled my eyes. "I can see that you shank", I answered jokingly. For a brief moment I closed my eyes, tilted my head back and let the sun shine on my face, before getting up again and stretching my arms. I couldn't take more than a few minutes away from work.  "Right, enough break", I tried to motivate myself to get my water and then back to Jeff. "See ya!" Newt only waved as I headed off towards the kitchen where I could already smell dinner. 

I went in, asked for a glass of water and walked out again, not without trying to catch a glimpse of the food, but Frypan shooed me away before I could even see anything. I smiled as I stepped out, noting how the sun was pretty low already. Minho should be back in a bit. That was one of the few annoying parts of our relationship: him being away all day. And me having to worry about whether he would come back - although, he always did. But that didn't mean I would ever stop worrying. 

I pushed the thought of Minho being stuck in the maze to the back of my head and continued walking towards the Med-jack hut. "I'm back", I simply stated as I entered and put my glass on the only small table we had asked the Builders to carpenter for us. Jeff, again, only nodded. He had apparently just finished clearing out the drawer and was now picking out stuff we couldn't use anymore.

"(Y/n)! Jeff!" I knew that voice. In a heartbeat I turned around. My face fell. A panting Minho was standing in the doorway, clutching his arm. "Babe oh shuck, are you okay, is everything okay, are you good? Where is everyone else? Why are you here already? Did something happen?" I basically threw the bandage I had just picked up away, not caring about anything except for my boyfriend at the moment. Running up to him I looked him up and down, but I couldn't see any blood or any wounds, ripped clothes or anything that could've lead to him being here early.

"I'm fine", he breathed and I relaxed a bit, still worried and probably close to a heartattack anyway. "But this little guy isn't." Minho grabbed whatever he was clutching with the other hand, and into sight came a shaking, tiny puppy.

I clasped a hand over my mouth in shock and took a second to calm down and breathe before I had sorted my thoughts. I reached out for the small dog, and Minho carefully handed it to me. Slowly and extremely gently I turned the shivering puppy around and smiled, then cautiously put it on the table next to my glass of water and listened to Minho's explanation. "We found him somewhere in the maze", he started, but I immediately interrupted him.

"Her", I simply said, and when he looked at me confused, I chuckled. "She's female." I turned my attention back to the little girl, still shivering, and pointed towards a bowl we had once stolen from the kitchen on one of the cupboards. Jeff immediately got the hint and grabbed it, then filled my abandoned water into it. "So we found her somewhere in the maze while running, it was about noon I think. She was just lying in a corner, good thing she yelped so she caught our attention. I instantly picked her up and told Jackson to keep running while I would bring her back to you."

I smiled at his statement. He immediately thought of me! Or maybe just the Med-jacks? Either way, I found it cute. I checked the puppy's heartbeat just to be sure, but luckily it was normal. She didn't seem to be hurt, just scared and cold - and she couldn't move that well yet. I would say she was about three weeks old, maybe a month. Slowly, I put the bowl next to her head and moved her up a bit so she could reach it.

"She's not drinking", Minho stated after a few moments and I rolled my eyes. "I realised, you shank. She probably needs a special bottle or something. Problem is, we don't have that here." I racked my brain, but I simply couldn't think of anything around here that would come close to a drinking bottle for her. I looked at Jeff. "You go get Alby, will you? We need him here anyway to debate what to do with her", I said and turned to face Minho. "Can you get like a blanket or something? She's cold and we need to warm her up, immediately."

Once Jeff had left and Minho darted across the room to find a blanket, I pulled the small puppy up and carefully wrapped my arms around her. When I felt the shaking body relax slightly, that's when I knew I had to keep her. No matter what Alby would say.

I started to reassuringly stroke her back, moved my head down a bit and whispered in her ear. "Hey princess. You're safe, don't worry. I'm not going to let anybody hurt you now." I felt Minho hug me tightly from the back, his arms wrapped around my waist. His head rested on my shoulder and I grinned like a little girl. Minho and I had been dating for months now, but he still made me feel all dizzy and lovey-dovey like we had just confessed our feelings.

"This is why I love you so much, princess", he mumbled in my ear. "I knew I needed to bring her back to you the second I saw her." I blushed and turned my head so I could look at him.

"You just called her princess didn't you?", he asked, smirking, and I grinned even wider. I had actually used the nickname he gave me for the little puppy. "Did I?", I questioned and raised an eyebrow, now completely turning around so the puppy was between the two of us. "Why?" Minho sounded amused, happy, even, and let go of my waist only to put his hands back a second later.

"You know, I think I'm gonna call her that", I said and looked down at her. She was a little princess, no doubt. "Princess...", I whispered. "Buttercup." Minho raised an eyebrow and I laughed at his expression. "Princess Buttercup?", he asked and I nodded in agreement. He smiled and raised a hand to stroke her soft fur. "I like that. Princess Buttercup."