I promised, didn't I - Minho

I closed my mouth, tears streaming down my face and I didn't stop them, didn't wipe them away. I couldn't hear the shouts and screams of my friends anymore. I couldn't feel Newt's strong arm around my shoulders, not Gally's hand in mine and not Chuck hugging my waist. I couldn't move and I couldn't yell anymore. I was forced to watch as Minho fell to his knees, Alby's uncoscious body landing on the ground and the horrible sound of the maze doors closing suddenly felt too loud, too real.

I had feared this moment. I had feared this would happen at some point. I had made Minho promise it wouldn't. But here we were. And I couldn't do anything about it. My lips parted, unable to control myself I let out a scream. "Don't leave me!" My own voice sounded foreign. 

I struggled against the strong grip of the others, trying to get to Minho, run into the maze, die if I had to just to see him again, but they kept me in place, stopped me from saving him. I couldn't do anything but stare, watch, see the way he looked up and his eyes met mine. "Don't leave me", I sobbed, tears falling down my cheek, landing on the ground, on my clothes, on Chuck's hair. "Don't leave me!", I shouted. 

But Minho did nothing. I kept my gaze fixed on his face, the look in his eyes tearing me apart. It was full of mourn, pain and goodbye. I couldn't lose him. I wouldn't lose him. But I couldn't move an inch. "No! Thomas!" 

Suddenly, Newt's arm was ripped away from my shoulder and I didn't waste a second to use the opportunity. I shot forward, Chuck stumbled and let go, but Gally reacted just the same and pulled me back, an arm firmly wrapped around my torso. "No!", I screamed and fought against his grip again, but there was no chance I could escape it. The doors were closed, the Greenie gone - and Minho stuck in the maze.

I let out a desperate scream and turned around, burying my face in Gally's shirt. I had lost the one thing hat I had never wanted to lose. The one boy that was the reason I hadn't lost myself yet. The one boy that I loved, deeply and honestly, with every fibre of my body. And I had disappointed him. I had done nothing and nothing at all to save him. 

Gally wrapped his strong arms around my body tightly while my tears wet his shirt, muffling my screams. I felt anger overwhelm me. Anger at myself, at Gally, Newt, everyone. I fought against the Builder's embrace until he let go of me, then stormed back towards the walls. The tears kept rolling down my face but I couldn't feel them anymore, I couldn't feel the sadness, I could only grasp the rage inside of me. I banged my fist against the cold stone. "Come back! Come back!", I screamed, repeating the same words over and over again. 

"Hey, hey, (y/n)!", I felt a strong hand on my shoulder but shook it off. "No!", I sobbed. "Get away from me! He needs to come back!" I raised my hand to cotinue banging against the closed doors with no effect. "Minho!", I cried out. "Come back! You promised!" 

My voice cracked and I finally retreated my hands, becoming aware that my tries were helpless. "You promised", I repeated and slowly sank down onto the grass, burying my head in my hands. "You promised you'd always come back to me", I whispered. Then I started hiccoughing. 

I let it all out. I screamed and I cried, didn't dry the tears and didn't care who tried to persuade me to get up. I remained where I was, and at some point the truth seemed to sink in. There were no more tears to cry, no more screams to scream. My throat was dry and my head hurt. I let my body fall limp onto the grass, lying on my side, staring at nothing at all. 

I felt dead. There was no more purpose in life. No reason to live. No reason to wake up tomorrow. Minho was gone. And he wouldn't come back. He broke his promise. His only promise. 

"(Y/n), you're cold. C'mon, let's get you inside", a voice sounded and I recognised Newt, but I couldn't react. Even if I had wanted to, I wasn't able to open my mouth. "(Y/n), please, you can't stay here", he tried again. He sounded tired. Hopeless. There was a lostness in his voice that moved something inside of me and this time I could at least shake my head. "No", I said weakly and he sighed, but didn't argue further. A few minutes later I felt a sudden warmth flowing through my body. Newt draped a heavy blanket over my body. "Here", he said. I wanted to thank him, but nothing came out. I simply lay there and listened to his footsteps disappear again. 

The darkness seemed so welcoming now. I greeted it like an old friend. It resembled what I was feeling inside - it didn't judge, it didn't cry, it silenced me and all my thoughts. I didn't move. I barely breathed. Just when the sun shone on my face and the maze doors rumbled, my consciousness seemed to come back to me. I curled up into a little ball, my knees trapping the tears that were falling down again. I didn't know what to do other than silently scream into the fabric of my shorts. Everything seemed to hurt. Every tear seemed to burn into my skin, my stomach tensed, my back arched, my legs felt numb. 

"I told you, they're not coming back", I heard Newt say and the scream I let out finally gained volume, finally I could hear myself again, finally I could feel my lungs contracting and everything fell onto me as a dull pain. I screamed again, the high pitched sound creating a pleasant echo in my head. "What's wrong with her?", Chuck asked and I noticed the tune from my throat turning into a carefree sob. I ignored the answer, the rumbling sound of the doors stopping, the footsteps, the murmurs. I let out everything again. I screamed and I cried and I sobbed and I didn't care who was listening, who was watching. 

"Holy shuck." 

I snapped out of my trance, silence suddenly surrounding me. I couldn't quite tell why. "He promised", I mumbled and clenched my hand to a fist. "He promised!", I repeated, and punched the grass beneath my body with all the strength left in my arm. Then I started to cry again. 

"Hey, hey, sh", someone whispered and I felt a strong arm being wrapped around my body. I couldn't fight against whoever lifted me up, so I simply lay stiff as they held me close to their chest. "It's okay, everything's okay", I heard them continue. I closed my eyes in an attempt to calm down. "No", I sobbed. "Nothing's okay! Minho's dead." The person chuckled, sending a vibration through my body that seemed to shake me awake. How could someone laugh now? I looked up, tilting my head back, and had to blink until I could even see anything. 

I was staring right into brown eyes, brown eyes that belonged to a boy with ruffled hair and a scratch on his face. "Minho!", I gasped, my voice hoarse and caught up in my throat. "But how- Why are- You should- Am I dead too?" 

He laughed again and I clasped my hand around the collar of his shirt, making sure I wasn't dreaming. "No", he responded and smiled. "No, you're perfectly fine." 

I giggled a bit and wiped the tears on my cheeks away in an attempt to stop them. "You're back", I sniffed and allowed my fingers to trail up his neck until they reached his cheek. "I promised, didn't I?", he smiled and I closed my eyes for a brief moment, feeling the warmth of his skin, the strong embrace he was holding me in, the soothing sound of his breath. "Yes you did", I answered. I stumbled up a bit so I could wrap my arms around his neck and pull him close. Then I connected our lips, never having missed the feeling of Minho by my side so desperately. When we pulled away, I leant my forehead against his. "You can stop crying now", he said and raised a hand to dry the tears on my face. 

"I couldn't bear to lose you, Minho", I whispered instead of responding and ran my fingers through his messed up hair. "When the doors closed, I-" My voice broke and I had to close my eyes for a second, inhaling heavily. Minho tightened his grip to support me. "I wouldn't know what to do without you. I felt so helpless and guilty and- You're the reason I wake up every morning, and if I didn't have that-", I trailed off, leaving the sentence unfinised. 

"You know I'd never leave you. I promised I'd always come back to you and I will. Understood?" I smiled and buried my face in the crook of his neck, the fabric of his shirt tickling my cheek. "Understood", I muttered happily.