Midnight sky - Minho | Scorch Trials

TW!! death

"You look good from this angle, you know?", I smiled as I looked at Minho's side profile. I heard him chuckle and watched him open his eyes again, his head resting on the cold ground. Even if it hurt, he wasn't showing it. "So you're saying I don't look good usually?" 

I gasped and slapped his chest with my right hand, my left one still tangled up in his hair. "You always look good babe, you know that's not what I meant", I pouted and let my fingers trail over his clothing, the new jacket that still smelled musty from lying in an old warehouse for years. 

The night was peaceful, the darkness that surrounded us welcoming. Back in the Glade I'd been afraid of the night. But I had grown. So had everyone else. We'd all grown from being out in the Scorch, we'd basically been forced to grow. I had been forced to grow while marching through the heat and freezing at night, losing a friend and leaving hope behind, and all this time I hadn't cried once. 

It was strange to lie here with Minho. Nothing had ever felt more peaceful even though we were on the edge of death, running out of supplies, slowly but steadily losing sanity. I had finally cried on his shoulder at dusk, and everyone had given us space, given me space. Minho and I, watching as the setting sun turned the blue sky red as if there was blood dripping from it until night came and changed it to black. The tears on my cheeks had dried when we lay down and Minho wrapped an arm around me so I could rest my head on his shoulder, watching the stars come out one by one. 

When the sounds of the others had passed, silence was still hovering over us like a thick blanket while we were staring at the midnight sky that seemed to stretch out far over the horizon. But then we'd started to talk, we'd started to talk without keeping track of time, keeping track of dark and light, keeping track of life. Everything had become so meaningless but meaningful at the same time and if there was one thing in my life that I was thankful for, it was that he felt the same as me, understood me without wording my feelings, without explaining why I couldn't talk that moment or why I had to cry. 

"I miss Gally", I sighed. "And Chuck, Alby, Jeff, Clint and Ben. I miss them all, Minho." In the last few weeks I had kept too many secrets, locked my feelings up, locked them in my head. I wasn't used anymore to talking this openly, but he just calmed me down, he gave me the safety I needed to open up, to talk about everything that was bothering me. 

"Me too, princess, me too", he murmured and pulled me even closer to him, placing a kiss on the top of my head that reassured me. 

"They didn't deserve it", I went on even though I knew that I shouldn't. I shouldn't start again. There was too much pain, too much grief, too much horror that I knew I wouldn't be able to hold when it all came out. I feared that moment. 

I couldn't lose control but I knew, I just felt that at one point I would, and that would end me completely. 

"I know", Minho reassured me, squeezed my arm and placed another kiss on my hair. I was used to his touch, he'd held me this way in the Glade, he'd held me this way at the compound, but now that I felt so much older, now that I felt so much more scared, now that I knew the only thing I could do was lose, it was different. "I love you, slowpoke", I mumbled into his shirt while I inhaled his smell and the fabric dried my silent tears. "I love you too, princess." 

"Can you promise me something?" 

Even though my voice was so quiet, a faint whisper, easily drowned out by the cold breeze and the sound of our breaths, his grip on my body tightened and he softly hummed into my ear. "Anything." 

"Don't be mad at me." I swallowed hard. 

"Why should I be mad at you?" 

He sneaked the hand that he wasn't holding me up with to my cheek and forced my chin up a bit so I would look at him. He was frowning, and although it was an adorable sight, I could only react with more and more tears. 

"I'm so afraid of losing you", I whispered and squeezed my eyes shut, trying hard to keep everything inside as I didn't want him to also bear my pain. He was already dealing with too much, way too much on his own. Everyone had too much. Experienced too much, heard too much, lived too much and not enough at the same time. 

"I'm so, so scared", I continued. "And I know that one day I'll be too scared, Minho. Way too scared." 

I exhaled heavily and opened my eyes again. It took one look at his face and not more to see that he didn't understand what I meant, and I didn't know whether that was good or bad. I pressed my lips together and started brushing through his messed up hair to calm down before I broke again. 

"Promise me you won't be mad at me when I can't take it anymore. Promise me you won't be mad when I lose control", I spoke shakily. Before he could react, I'd brought my hands too his face and kissed him. I couldn't tell who it calmed down more, me or him, but it was my last hope, my last attempt at keeping my sanity and his. I wasn't good at expressing my feelings through anything else than crying, words had never been my strength, and so I put them all into this one kiss, clinging onto him and his body and letting him taste all the desperation. The fear, the worry, the pain, the horror. The moments I'd seen my friends die right in front of my eyes. The times I'd broken down. When I'd broken completely. How I was suffering. I told him all of it through a kiss. My tears meeting his skin, the salty taste mixing with our chapped lips and droplets of blood from the wounds that remained from the times that I'd bit my lips so hard. All the memories seemed to strike like lightening in this one moment and I could finally feel it all at once while feeling nothing and nothing at all. 

I pulled away and gasped, my breath hitched. This wouldn't be the end. 

"Minho?", I asked shakily, clutching his collar as he held me close, closer than ever before. "Is this the end?" His breath was unregular, his heart racing, I could feel it even through the layers of clothing. "No", he sobbed. I'd never heard him cry before. Not even that night in the Scorch. 

"No, I won't- I won't lose you like this, princess!" I looked down at my stomach and the wound, the blood that painted the blue shirt red that I'd stolen from him back in the Glade. It hurt, but not as much as I'd expected. "Hey, look at me, slowpoke, it's fine", I whispered, a smile on my lips. "I'll get to see them all again! I'll meet Alby, Chuck, Winston and all the others." He looked at me, tears in his eyes, streaming down his face, wetting his shirt. 

"And don't you think you'll get rid of me this easily! I'll be watching you, every step you take, you hear me?" My voice wasn't more than a whisper, but he understood perfectly. My throat felt as though I was being choked, like fire was burning in every inch of my lungs. 

"I'll be waiting for you up there, with all of them. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." 

Minho whispered a silent no, again and again, not believing what was happening, not grasping that I was dying, not able to. He rocked my body back and forth in a rhythm so calming, it made me feel peaceful. 

I wasn't afraid, but I could see he was. Gathering the last bits of my courage and my strength, I raised a hand and slowly but as steadily as I could, I put it to his cheek, just as I always did. "This is it?", he choked out and I wiped a tear away from his face. I didn't want to see him this sad. "For a while, Minho. But I'll meet you in forever and I'll be yours again, promise." 

I closed my eyes, knowing that my last words would be these, no more strength left in my body to speak. This was it. This would be the end. I took one last breath, felt his strong arms holding me close, closer than ever before, and a tear fell onto my lips before he kissed me one last time. Just a kiss, no more words left for a goodbye. But a kiss that neither of us would ever forget.