I know you - Minho

The girl had trouble keeping her eyes open, but she couldn't fall asleep, not now. She'd stayed up all night and she wouldn't drift off now that the sun was starting to rise. She hadn't slept for three days straight, neither had she been able to run the maze because she was temporarily banned, as Alby had phrased it. She could only roll her eyes at that once again. Alby had never liked her, she wasn't surprised by his actions. What did surprise her was the fact that the guys hadn't immediately banished her wholly. 

Two days ago, she'd gotten angry while she was running the maze with her running partner, Ben. He had been a complete douche, but no one had believed her when she had tried to defend herself. She hadn't even hurt him that badly - Jeff had said he would be able to run again the next day.

Spending her nights locked up in the pit and her days working with the Sloppers as a punishment, she'd fallen into a kind of careless state. Even though she had been desperate when no one seemed to trust her at the Gathering that night, the more time she spent on her own and the more she thought about it, the less she actually felt. She had never cried, not once, and she wouldn't start now.

When she had arrived here, the boys had bet on her breaking down because she was just a weak girl and would definitely at some point. The ones that had bet against her never liked her anyway, and the feeling was quite mutual. Actually, even the ones that had bet she would behave just like everyone else she'd disappointed. There was not one boy that seemed to actually care about her. Chuck was cute, but he was way too influenced by all the others, told to keep a safe distance and so he did. She found it quite sad how easily the majority of them were able to be manipulated, but at the same time she couldn't have cared less. 

"Like your new home?"

She looked up at Minho, who was watching her through the bars of the pit. She needed a second to find her orientation once more, but when she did, she let out a cold snort. The smirk on his face that had usually cheered her up seemed so falsely pointed at her. She knew that it was just Minho's personality, but that was what made it seem like it wasn't meant for her at all. 

"Oh yeah, it's very comfortable. Wanna come in?", she said sarcastically, the first tone that had left her throat ever since the Gathering that night she got punished for beating up Ben. She gazed through the bars at the sky, dimly lit by the sun. She didn't know what Minho was doing here, after all she would just be let out in a few hours when the others were done with their breakfast. 

"I'd love to, but I've got a job to do."

Again, she let out a sarcastic laugh. Of course. Keeper of the Runners, what was she thinking - that he'd actually come here for her? She should've known by now that the boys didn't do anything for her or because of her. They only ever did what they did simply because she was in the way once again. 

"'Course", she looked him straight in the eye. "I'm the only one who got suspended after all, aren't I?" 

She hadn't wanted it to come out like that - but she liked it better like this. In some weird, strange way, she blamed Minho for everything. He was Keeper, he should've listened to her perspective, considered it. After all, she'd always thought that he at least tolerated her - one of the very few people who did, alongside Frypan and Newt. But apparently she was wrong, once again. 

"Sure you are", he responded, and she could've beat him up for still bearing that shucking smirk. But she knew better than to lose her temper again. She learnt and she would keep control of herself. If that meant that only she could run again. 

Running - the one and only thing that kept her from going insane. The feeling of freedom, the tingle in her body, the sound of her breath, her feet stomping on the stone. The maze was a terrible horror to some of the guys here, but to her, it was a blessing. With a smile on her lips, she had to think of that day, a few weeks after she'd become a Runner, when she had told Minho that she was just as fast as him. It had been her first time actually running with him and after their lunch break, he'd challenged her to a race to section 5. She still couldn't believe that she'd actually beaten him. To be fair, he did have to carry her back to the glade after because she'd been so out of breath, but she had made it. She had never felt more proud.