Chapter Nineteen

Wattpad did this really annoying thing of deleting half of chapter 18 so this is the other half in form of a new chapter so it may be shorter.

...°...

There's a long silence while the two opposing lines face each other off, both ready for a sign from their leader that will lead to a bloody intercalation. My heart speed picks up just being in this tense atmosphere, and my cheeks flush when Jay slides his hand into mine and squeezes it reassuringly. I like to say that it's the cold giving me colour. Hunter bares his teeth at the man and growls. I'm positive that the ground beneath us trembles slightly.

"I said," He hisses between clenched teeth and narrowed, red glowing eyes, "what the hell do you want?" I stare at the hunters with secret satisfaction when some of them take a step back because of Hunter's cold words laced with venom and threat, but they are stopped in their tracks when their leader's son sends them a menacing glare.

There is a long silence during which I can hear the shuffle of the leaves from the trees, dancing along with the icy wind that fills my body with painful shivers. I freeze when the man brings his old eyes to us and scans our side with pure disgust. They speak of years wisdom and of seeing pain and destruction, creased at the sides by age.  They land on Alice with curiosity, before going on to me. He tilts his head as a sarcastic smile forms on his lips.

"I see that you have brought two humans to your clan..." He spits, informing us of just how much he despises the vampires. Hunter glances at me and I can see the worry in his eyes, but he manages to keep it back quickly and sends a deadly and threatening look to the leader.

"You will not harm the humans; it is against your laws." He shoots back, coating the air in more chill and tension. 

-You know nothing of our laws vampire." He snaps back suddenly, anger clear on his face. "You were banned from those a long time ago." The tension in the air strengthens more and more and I am completely frozen, leaning into Jays slightly who places his hand on the small of my back reassuringly. "One of them though, has sparked my interest for quite some time."

Blankness fills my mind when he looks at me again, tilting his head to the side as if he was examining a wild animal in a cage. I can't think of anything, it's as if the blankness has suppressed my thoughts. He clicks his tongue pensively, his heavy gaze resting on me and making me more and more uncomfortable.

I exhale in relief when I feel Jay's breath on my neck, bringing me back to reality. I instantly relax, although my bones are still slightly rigid, ready to jump if the occasion presents itself. "Don't do anything stupid Em." He whispers, low enough so none of the hunters, except for me can hear it. "I'll always be here, don't forget that." 

-Why does it sound like a goodbye?" I gulp, looking up at him with fear and sadness. He smiles his lovely dimpled-smile that makes me melt and cups my face in his hands, brushing his thumb soothingly over my cheek. I lean into his hand and try to remember the delightful buzzes and butterflies that he brings up in me whenever we make contact. Stupid, so so stupid; why couldn't I just accept him before? We might not come out of here alive. My eyes diverge to the deadly spears that are gripped tightly in the hunters' hands; I haven't even said the words. He won't know, he may never know.

You see, this would be another ideal moment to cry, but it seems that my eyes are frozen as I look up at him. He probably admires my strength not to shed a single tear. But it's not bravery or courage that prevents it for me, it's the act of feeling no emotion or compassion for anything that I see. Since my parents' death, I've never cried again. It makes me feel different, inhuman, but I've never been able to get the waterworks working again.

I look at Alice who's talking urgently to Chase, her voice full of love and hope, and tears filling up in her eyes, and for just that moment, I envy her again, more than I ever have.

"Her." The hunters' leader bellows loudly, and I'm brought out of my contemplating daze. Everyone looks at the man who's directing his group closer to ours, each step bringing them closer to our side. The time it takes for them to get closer and closer seems to stretch on for eternity, and all the while I examine the faces of the vampires around me, thinking to myself that life seems to hold so much more value in this moment. 

"You will not touch her!" Hunter shouts back, flames of fury appearing in his black eyes. I remember our session when his scar flashed blue and wonder how such a thing could make his features look so much more attractive. It should have disfigured him, but somehow it enhances every shape, every aspect of his hard-looking face. He hasn't looked at me, hasn't acknowledged my presence once after that night, with the exception of the time of Jay's injury, and I've been sure that he despised me... me and my cursed powers. Yet here he is, defending me and I have no idea if it's for Jay's sake, someone that he sees closer than a brother, or if it's... for me.

"Well, that's the problem you see?" The man chuckles without humour, "You aren't given much of a choice."

Before anyone can detect his movements, his hand flies to his belt and he throws the deadly spear through the air in a swift and professional movement, breaking through the wind that comes rushing towards it. Time seems to freeze as I watch it approach Hunter's still heart, and for just this moment I close my eyes and allow myself to breathe, remembering Jay's look full of love and regret directed at me as my mind drifts off.

The air melts around me and every part of me is screaming to break out of this trance, but I battle against my will, bringing my mind closer to Hunter's. The opening comes closer, and I'm engulfed into his head. The weapon stops mid air and I see it fall to the ground, inches from Hunter's chest. I look behind him and see Jay in the most desperate of conditions, clutching a lifeless body to his chest and smoothing back her long golden hair with anger as he pushes away any one who tried to come near, fangs extended. My breathing stops as I recognise the form in his arms. 

It's me.