Chapter Twenty-Three

"You can't do anything! Don't go in there! They're gone!"

-No!" I scream, but I know that it's absolutely no use. They're gone for good. They'll never come back. They've left this world, they've left Alice, they've left... me. Without any notice. How could we have prepared for this? I guess we would never have been fully prepared to lose them anyway. But this has come so suddenly, so shockingly, and it's even harder to imagine their deaths than to actually process it. I still can't believe it. But I have to. Because that's the stone-cold reality.

The bodybags are being carried away and I bite back my tears that will never fall again, never. I need to be strong, to stay strong. I can't be weak, I need to do this for for them, so they'll be proud of me, for Alice, so that she'll give me the unconditional love that keeps us standing. We can't go on without each other.

"Ms Sanders?" I look up and stare at the detective's tanned face. He can't be more than in his twenties. I know that I'm too young to be thinking about boys, or men for a fact, but I can't disapprove to the fact that he looks surprisingly hot. It's as if his skin has been smoothed down with crystals; tons of little sparkles decorate his skin in a stunning way. His voice is accentuated, and I can detect a slight Southern accent. His brown eyes look filled with boredom and he looks like he hates this job. Why would he chose to do this then? It's as if it isn't even an eleven-year-old girl standing in front of him, a girl who hasn't just lost her parents, who has a fifteen-year old sister who's struggling for us not to be separated into different homes. He's unaware of the present time.

"Your parents died because of a tragic loss of blood. Two puncture wounds were found on the side of both of their necks." His eyes close for a moment but he opens them again before I can think twice about it. "You are feeling sad." He points out. Is he serious? Of course I'm sad! I hold back a frustrated groan in order not to scare him away.

I try to look for that familiar corde that will lead me on the path into his head, I need to know the truth about their deaths. I need to know, even though it'll haunt me for the rest of my life. I cling on to the little hope that remains and look around in the air around him. There should be something, anything, that I could cling on to. Instead, I start waving through the empty space frantically, desperately searching for the only lead that can help me solve out their departure. Nothing.

"Why!?" I scream to his face, and for a moment he looks startled and his eyes sparkle with an emotion that I can't quite decifer.

-You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He turns around and stalks off, leaving me staring after him with shock and fear. He knew? How could he know? He can't, he musn't, it's impossible...

...°...

"No! Don't go! Don't leave me! Please..." I wave my hands around, searching for something to hold onto and my eyes shoot open, staring straight into a scared face. His black eyes look shocked but he quickly recovers with an amused smirk, changing his beautiful features completely. "H - Hunter?" I whisper with confusion. What's he doing here? I thought he hated me...

"Hi princess." He coos, and I shove him playfully on the arm. He regards my gesture as if it was a completely foreign thing to him and I slap myself mentally. He wouldn't understand any sign of affection would he? I clear my throat and shift my gaze uncomfortably, feeling his stare at the side of my head.

"What happened?" He questions, is usual cold demeanour shifting back into place.

-I blacked out." I state, not feeling the energy or the urge to explain.

-You know that that's not enough for me princess.

-Don't call me that." I snap and he cocks an eyebrow curiously. I try my best to send him a deadly glare, but seeing his satisfied reaction, it obviously doesn't work.